T.J. Narrows Down Choices

A Go-Bengals.com report:

[quote]According to a source familiar with T.J. Houshmandzadeh’s contract negotiations, the Bengals still currently have the highest bid in for the former Pro Bowl wide receiver’s services.

Also according to the source it is believed that the Bengals offer is worth close to three million dollars more than the highest contract pitched by the Seahawks.

It is reported that the Vikings offer was “not considerable” in comparison.

Although the difference in money is not substantial and we were not able to obtain specific details – such as exact years and guaranteed money – if we are to take Houshmandzadeh at [url="http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2009/03/tj_said_he_would_pick_best_off.html"]his word[/url], the Bengals currently appear to be his No. 1 destination.[/quote]

This is in direct contrast to the quotes that USN and Globetrotter attributed to ESPN in the T.J. thread. See below...

[quote name='globetrotter' post='751782' date='Mar 2 2009, 12:49 PM']ESPN Said that it was down to Seattle and Minnie and we were out of the mix.[/quote]

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='751784' date='Mar 2 2009, 12:52 PM']Michael Smith of ESPN says he believes it's between Seattle and Minnesota, with Seattle winning.
There's a lot to be said about going into the "scary unknown" too.

I just truly want it over so that we can move on and hopefully do somthing to help this team.[/quote]

I'm listening to Sirius right now, and its sounding favorable that he will choose Cincy - based on the offers being close $ wise, he is comfortable in his role here, he's got Carson, and won't be called a bust if he only get 75 catches (and doesn't make the playoffs).

This is all in regards to Minn vs. Cincy

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='751818' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:44 PM']This is in direct contrast to the quotes that USN and Globetrotter attributed to ESPN in the T.J. thread. See below...[/quote]

Remember Chicago, this is what Michael Smith said he feels is right... he didn't say that he had any particular insider info.

I think Dan has a little better inside info on the Bengals than Smith does.

At least I hope he does!

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='751825' date='Mar 2 2009, 01:47 PM']Remember Chicago, this is what Michael Smith said he feels is right... he didn't say that he had any particular insider info.

I think Dan has a little better inside info on the Bengals than Smith does.

At least I hope he does![/quote]
I misinterpreted the quotes. And I wasn't downplaying Dan. but I appreciate the clarification.

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' post='751831' date='Mar 2 2009, 03:03 PM']I hope he does comeback. I think he's earned a big contract. if the bengals are the ones offering the most money. i wonder what he's wating on? Maybe he wants to see more of a commitment to winning?[/quote]

He's going to be waiting awhile....

So, if we do have the best offer on the table, and if, as he supposedly said according to C Trent's blog that you don't take less unless you play less, then WTF is he waiting for?? Sign with the Bengals already.

Or, just show that you really want out and sign with Seattle for what they are offering.

If, in fact the Bengals offer is the highest of the bunch, then one of two things is happening - neither of which I like.

He's trying to decide -

1) Do I go to a potentially more competitive team / competitive atmosphere for less money?

2) Or, do I go back to Cincy because I'll make more money, even though I want out...

It sounds like he doesn't really want to be here and the only thing luring him along is we're throwing more money at him... no thanks. You can get those guys all day long. You throw a wheelbarrow full of money at most any FA and they'll sign with you. Don't we want guys that want to be here to win, not get their last big payday?

I really don't like the answer to either of those situations. I'd give the man a deadline until sometime this evening - make a decision. If he pushes out - move along. You can't hold up your offseason waiting on this guy...

EDIT: for additional emphasis... it is like the good looking girl stringing you along. At what point, do you tell her she isn't worth the time? A lot of fish in the ocean as they say...

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='751846' date='Mar 2 2009, 03:49 PM']If, in fact the Bengals offer is the highest of the bunch, then one of two things is happening - neither of which I like.

He's trying to decide -

1) Do I go to a potentially more competitive team / competitive atmosphere for less money?

2) Or, do I go back to Cincy because I'll make more money, even though I want out...

It sounds like he doesn't really want to be here and the only thing luring him along is we're throwing more money at him... no thanks. You can get those guys all day long. You throw a wheelbarrow full of money at most any FA and they'll sign with you. Don't we want guys that want to be here to win, not get their last big payday?

I really don't like the answer to either of those situations. I'd give the man until like a deadline sometime this evening - make a decision. If he pushes out - move along. You can't hold up your offseason waiting on this guy...[/quote]

X2

This is starting to sound like the bad old days of the 90's when free agents said "Cincinnati is Siberia. You use them as leverage or sign with them only if you get 20% more."

I love TJ, but if we're offering more cash and he STILL can't decide, then he can go fuck himself.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='751853' date='Mar 2 2009, 03:56 PM']I love TJ, but if we're offering more cash and he STILL can't decide, then he can go fuck himself.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. All his talk about just wanting a "fair" offer from the Bengals was bullshit.

[quote name='gatorclaws' post='751854' date='Mar 2 2009, 04:59 PM']My thoughts exactly. All his talk about just wanting a "fair" offer from the Bengals was bullshit.[/quote]

In a way, I'm glad the Bengals offered what they did...

It is a put your money where your mouth is situation for TJ now... put up or shut up.

He either honors his word at this point, or he shows that he's a punk. Pretty cut and dried really.

Deadline his ass to like 8:00 pm tonight EST.

I REALLLY DONT WANT T.J ANYMORE!..please save the money...hes fucking rediculous...i lost all respect for t.j...and there is no way he gets any better as a WR...32..and chad is healthy and caldwell is emerging...get him out of here and lets use that money somewhere else NOW..

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='751853' date='Mar 2 2009, 03:56 PM']This is starting to sound like the bad old days of the 90's when free agents said "Cincinnati is Siberia. You use them as leverage or sign with them only if you get 20% more."

I love TJ, but if we're offering more cash and he STILL can't decide, then he can go fuck himself.[/quote]

It's hard to to tell what to make of this situation right now. This part of the NFL offseason sucks in my mind because everything is 'speculation' for days and weeks before anything actually goes down. And after years of being a Bengals fan it usually only ends up disappointment when it comes to FA. But in all honesty after how big of a chip TJ has had on his shoulder after being a 7th round draft pick I gotta believe (if he does resign here) he's going to continue to have that chip on his shoulder for not being catered to by any 'Super Bowl caliber' teams and not having the market he thought he would. To me that could be one positive that comes out of all of this along with getting our most consistent WR back.

To me it's a no brainer that he comes back, but time will tell with that. I wish he'd just quit being a numbnut and make up his mind already since everything else we do in FA is directly tied to what happens with TJ.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='751846' date='Mar 2 2009, 04:49 PM']If, in fact the Bengals offer is the highest of the bunch, then one of two things is happening - neither of which I like.

He's trying to decide -

I really don't like the answer to either of those situations. I'd give the man a deadline until sometime this evening - make a decision. If he pushes out - move along. You can't hold up your offseason waiting on this guy...

EDIT: for additional emphasis... it is like the good looking girl stringing you along. At what point, do you tell her she isn't worth the time? A lot of fish in the ocean as they say...[/quote]

The things that I have read seem to say that the Bengals are offering the most total $$, but the Seahawks are offering the most per year. (5 yr 35 m compared to 3 yr 25 mill). The other thing I think he could be considering is whether he wants to come back here and be tonto, or go to Seattle and be the Lone Ranger. I know most of us think Chad is gone if he comes back, but we all know Mikey, so it may not be that way.

[quote name='kennethmw' post='751872' date='Mar 2 2009, 04:31 PM']The things that I have read seem to say that the Bengals are offering the most total $$, but the Seahawks are offering the most per year. (5 yr 35 m compared to 3 yr 25 mill). The other thing I think he could be considering is whether he wants to come back here and be tonto, or go to Seattle and be the Lone Ranger. I know most of us think Chad is gone if he comes back, but we all know Mikey, so it may not be that way.[/quote]

With that Scenario though, you have to wonder if he thinks at 35 he is going to get a 2 year contract for $10 million. Doubt that seriously.

[quote]Welcome Back to the Jungle, Housh?
Monday, March 02, 2009
Posted By RealScouts 4:42 PM
Don't count out the Bengals in the T.J. Houshmandzadeh free-agent dance off. An unnamed NFL exec told the St. Paul Pioneer Press that Cincy at least has the edge over (also known as "have offered more money" than) the Vikings in trying to sign the wide receiver to a lucrative long-term deal.

Of course, this could be a ploy for both Minnesota and Seattle to up the ante for Housh, who has said money trumps all in making his final decision.

To stay or not to stay? That is the question as T.J.'s state of mind is now providing more drama than Hamlet. --Vinnie Iyer[/quote]

[url="http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/"]http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/[/url]

Archived