Bengals considering Brandon Marshall?

[quote]James Walker of ESPN.com gingerly sprinkles water on his colleague's theory, explaining that "thinking about a player and actually making a trade are two vastly different things." [b]Walker points out that giving up a first-round pick and paying Marshall a contract in the range of $30 million to $40 million would not mesh with the Bengals' historical approach to player acquisition.[/b][/quote]

You would think...scratch that HOPE that they would look at their historical approach to securing post season appearances and victories and deviate from that historical approach and go out and get a proven top tier commodity for a weak 21st pick in the 2010 NFL draft.

nobody seems to understand how this works...

We sign him to a deal, and if the Broncos don't match, we give them a first round pick.

Why would we give anything else? And why are the Seahawks in a better position to sign him?

And if we don't want Denver to match, we put in the contract that he gets 50mil if he plays 8 games in Denver over the next 4 seasons, or something like that...

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='08 March 2010 - 01:42 PM' timestamp='1268073761' post='868357']
Same person who told you and Go that Chad was a certain goner?
[/quote]
How do you guys remember that stuff? I read everything on this board and can't remember at all who wrote what. I remember someone calling the Perry signing years back on here... who was it? Is he still a member? I know you remember......

[quote name='Tigris' date='08 March 2010 - 01:56 PM' timestamp='1268074598' post='868362']
How do you guys remember that stuff? I read everything on this board and can't remember at all who wrote what. I remember someone calling the Perry signing years back on here... who was it? Is he still a member? I know you remember......
[/quote]

he's talking about an inside source cause Go in the off season said that Chad is a goner :wave:

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='08 March 2010 - 12:41 PM' timestamp='1268073671' post='868356']

We sign him to a deal, and if the Broncos don't match, we give them a first round pick.

Why would we give anything else? And why are the Seahawks in a better position to sign him?

[b]And if we don't want Denver to match, we put in the contract that he gets 50mil if he plays 8 games in Denver over the next 4 seasons, or something like that...[/b]
[/quote]
:D

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='08 March 2010 - 10:41 AM' timestamp='1268073671' post='868356']

And if we don't want Denver to match, we put in the contract that he gets 50mil if he plays 8 games in Denver over the next 4 seasons, or something like that...
[/quote]

I thought that was illegal now?

[quote name='Tigris' date='08 March 2010 - 01:56 PM' timestamp='1268074598' post='868362']
How do you guys remember that stuff? [b]I read everything on this board and can't remember at all who wrote what.[/b] I remember someone calling the Perry signing years back on here... who was it? Is he still a member? I know you remember......
[/quote]

Stop smoking so much dope! :D

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='08 March 2010 - 01:41 PM' timestamp='1268073671' post='868356']

[/quote]

You can negotiate with the Broncos on the compensation, I believe.

[quote name='scharm' date='08 March 2010 - 02:53 PM' timestamp='1268081631' post='868392']
You can negotiate with the Broncos on the compensation, I believe.
[/quote]

I believe you can.

The Vikings did that with the Chiefs when they got Jared Allen. Instead of the franchise tag two 1st rounders, they gave up something less. Like a 1st and two 3rd's or something...

The Broncos have already said they will not negotiate. If a team wants him they have to give up a first rounder. This might be a smoke screen to see if anybody will give up a first though, since it is clear the Broncos do not have an interest in bringing him back. My guess is if he sits on the market through March the Broncos will start talking sign and trade for something less. If I was any team I would wait until right before the draft to do anything with Marshall because the Broncos would be more likely to take whatever the highest pick they can get him for is. Waiting until after the draft might take his asking price back up since then the Broncos will know the team didn't fill its WR need in the draft.

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/03/08/of-marshall-and-other-matters/"][b][size="5"]Of Marshall and other matters[/size][/b][/url]
Posted by [email="jreedy@enquirer.com"]jreedy[/email] March 8th, 2010, 12:04 pm

There are three wide receivers on the market that the Bengals have discussed and/or are looking at. Let's face it all of them have issues of some sort and possess All-Pro talent. The question the Bengals have to answer is which one do they think provides the least problems and then go after him.

With word out there that the Bengals have had some very preliminary thoughts about possibly formulating a Brandon Marshall Plan , it does send word to Antonio Bryant and Terrell Owens that they are weighing (some more heavily than others) a variety of options.

Bryant and Owens still remain the best options out there. You could sign Bryant to a multi-year deal and at 28 he is still young enough that he still has plenty of years left. Owens gives you a deep threat and there is that friendship with Chad Ochocinco.

Now, what about Marshall? If the Bengals were to all of a sudden decide they wanted to go all in on Marshall, there are some questions they have to answer:

[list=1][*]Are they willing to pay possibly $60 million over five years? $10 million a year is going to be a starting point and by the time you throw in a signing bonus, it could easily go over $60 million.[*]Are they ready to make Marshall their featured receiver and is Chad Ochocinco willing to become a number two guy? You are not going to pay a guy in upwards of $10 million a year to be a second guy.[*]Have the Bengals done their due diligence that the problems Marshall had in Denver will not occur here? Considering the problems Marshall has had on and off the field, who knows if that can truly be answered.[/list]

(Click the link below for the entire article)

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/03/08/of-marshall-and-other-matters/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/03/08/of-marshall-and-other-matters/[/url]

[quote name='Rick' date='08 March 2010 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1268082976' post='868401']
NFL Live's talking heads just said the Bengals need to make the trade for Brandon Marshall. They said players would then WANT to play for the Bengals.
[/quote]
sign marshall and extend Chad for a couple more years and we will be good offensively for at least 3 or 4 years. If we fix our line and the D progresses we go to the superbowl... Mike Brown, please don't screw this up. Antonio Bryant is good, but over the life of his deal is going to decline. Marshall is hitting his prime... a 1st round pick is worth that.

[quote name='F.Cleveland' date='08 March 2010 - 04:31 PM' timestamp='1268083915' post='868410']
sign marshall and extend Chad for a couple more years and we will be good offensively for at least 3 or 4 years. If we fix our line and the D progresses we go to the superbowl... Mike Brown, please don't screw this up. Antonio Bryant is good, but over the life of his deal is going to decline. Marshall is hitting his prime... a 1st round pick is worth that.
[/quote]

no doubt he's worth the first. The sticking point is the $$$ and Marshall's off the field problems.

I don't think Marshall will get 12 mil per year. I doubt he even gets the 10 mil per year, Reedy calls a starting point. He's coming off his rookie deal and wants to get paid. At the moment, he's only looking at a 2.6 mil RFA tender. There's a possibility of a work stoppage in 2011 and Marshall is one strike away from a lengthy suspension. Those don't give him much leverage.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' date='08 March 2010 - 04:09 PM' timestamp='1268082566' post='868398']
The Broncos have already said they will not negotiate. If a team wants him they have to give up a first rounder. This might be a smoke screen to see if anybody will give up a first though, since it is clear the Broncos do not have an interest in bringing him back. My guess is if he sits on the market through March the Broncos will start talking sign and trade for something less. If I was any team I would wait until right before the draft to do anything with Marshall because the Broncos would be more likely to take whatever the highest pick they can get him for is. Waiting until after the draft might take his asking price back up since then the Broncos will know the team didn't fill its WR need in the draft.
[/quote]

I don't know. Everyone speculated they chose the 1st round tender to send the message "if you want him come get him" now it's past the first weekend. So, I really don't know what to think about it, but him returning to Denver can always happen but that would be an odd occurence considering his behavior and the Broncos behavior.

Is the Brandon Marshall saga going to heat up in the upcoming weeks? I would think the Broncos/Marshall camp were hoping for a little more action, but there is always this up coming week and some team may throw their hat in.

[b][size="5"]Bengals should unveil Marshall Plan at WR[/size][/b]

By [url="http://www.ohio-share.coxnewsweb.com/incoming/greg-billing-256676.html"]Greg Billing[/url], Staff Writer
12:44 AM Tuesday, March 9, 2010

It starts with sending Terrell Owens on a deep route and letting him run right out of town.

It continues with giving a pump fake toward Antonio Bryant.

If the Cincinnati Bengals want to send a message to fans and players alike they are serious about winning, then go with the Marshall Plan.

I'm all for the Bengals bringing in sometimes-disgruntled Denver Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall, even for this year's first-round pick.

He's proven, he's young and he's a playmaker.

And let's face it, since snagging Chad Ochocinco (second round) and T.J. Houshmandzadeh (seventh) in the 2001 draft, the Bengals' picks since at wide receiver have mostly been fumbles. Those picks read like a list of Who's That? instead of Who's Who: Maurice Mann (2004), Tab Perry (2005), Reggie McNeal and Bennie Brazell (2006), Jerome Simpson, Andre Caldwell and Mario Urrutia (2008).

And consider this: The Bengals don't like drafting receivers high. Yes, until last season there wasn't a need with Johnson (who's getting older) and Houshmandzadeh (who's now in Seattle). But since taking Peter Warrick in the first round in 2000, the Bengals have drafted two receivers in the second round (Ochocinco, Simpson) and three in the third (Caldwell, Chris Henry, Kelley Washington).

Since 2006, four of their six receiver picks have come in the final two rounds. Not a good way to restock the shelves.

That's why Marshall — and his proven first-round talent — would be a great catch.

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-bengals/bengals-should-unveil-marshall-plan-at-wr-587777.html?cxtype=twt_Bengals_DDN"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-bengals/bengals-should-unveil-marshall-plan-at-wr-587777.html?cxtype=twt_Bengals_DDN[/url]

Allow the stars to align please! A Marshall signing would absolutely strike fear into the hearts of any NFL team. Look what Chad does against #1 CB's and imagine what the possibilities are against #2's. Instantly the #1 team in the AFC North and possibly the #1 team in the AFC!

Sign TO save your first rounder. Marshall is flake.

You always had to question why Denver didn't want to deal with him. Now you have to question why if it's such a slam dunk move, how come there wasn't mad rush to get this guy? 40-50 million contract and first round pick with a team that doesn't want him is why.

[quote name='scharm' date='09 March 2010 - 08:32 AM' timestamp='1268141572' post='868659']
Sign TO save your first rounder.
[/quote]

I agree with this on a qualified basis.

The TO part is perfect.

As long as #21 isn't for another fucking receiver.

Archived