When do we get to start arguing that Dalton is elite??

the best part about that play was seeing head and shoulders looking like he was running in sand.... I know TP is fast, but damn....hair head has lost a "few" steps....

I noticed Troy was down by the LOS and off to one side when the play happened, instead of playing the actual S position.  This is the flip side of those highlight reel 'jump the LOS' crap he is doing so often now.

Does this mean we haven't thrown any passes behind the line of scrimmage (other than in the middle) in the last 4 games?  Hence the YPA average rising. 

What has keyed the Bengals rise?

October, 29, 2013
By John McTigue | ESPN.com

nfl_e_daltonfirst12_576.jpgAndy Dalton struggled to throw it deep in the first four games ...
The Bengals are holding steady at No. 7 in the Week 9 ESPN.com NFL Power Rankings on the heels of a four game winning streak.

Andy Dalton This Season   1st 4 Gms Last 4 Gms W-L 2-2 4-0 Comp pct 63.5% 67.9% YPG 250.8 311.5 TD-Int 5-4 11-3 Total QBR 52.9 83.4
The Bengals have gotten strong defensive play the past few seasons, but this win streak has shown the offense may be catching up with the defense.

Andy Dalton has thrown for the third-most passing yards (1,246) and the second-most touchdowns (11) the last four weeks with the second-best Total QBR (83.4). Dalton has also thrown for 300 yards in each of his last three games, the longest streak of his career.

What has led to the improvement in the passing game?

Interestingly enough, Dalton has targeted A.J. Green and Jermaine Gresham –- the only two skill position players to play with Dalton since his rookie season –- less frequently during the win streak. The duo has accounted for 38 percent of Dalton’s passes during the streak after accounting for over half of his attempts in the first four games.

Green and Gresham have done nothing to fall out of favor in Cincinnati. Despite fewer targets, Green has gained 100 yards in a career-high three straight games. Gresham has caught 72.3 percent of his targets this season, best among the Bengals’ wide receivers and tight ends.

The drop in targets for Green and Gresham is a result of an improved supporting cast.

nfl_e_daltonlast11_576.jpgBut he's been much more effective of late.
Marvin Jones
In the Bengals’ Week 8 victory over the Jets, Marvin Jones caught four touchdown passes, doubling his career total.

Jones now has seven touchdowns this season (six during the win streak), all of which have come in the red zone. Only Wes Welker (eight) has more red zone touchdown receptions.

Jones has caught all eight of his red zone targets this season, the most targets without an incompletion on such passes. Dalton has completed 11-of-24 passes to all other Bengals inside the red zone with three touchdowns and an interception.

Giovani Bernard
Rookie Giovani Bernard has given the Bengals something they’ve never had under Dalton -- a receiving threat out of the backfield.

Bernard has 26 receptions this season, including 14 during the winning streak. No Bengals running back had caught more than 20 passes from Dalton in a season entering this year.

The real value comes from what Bernard does on those receptions. Bernard is one of seven players this season to average 9.0 yards after the catch (min. 20 receptions).

Tyler Eifert
Entering this season Gresham was the only receiving threat the Bengals had at tight end. Gresham had 120 receptions and 1,333 yards in Dalton’s first two seasons, with the rest of the Bengals’ tight ends combining for 24 receptions and 260 yards.

Rookie Tyler Eifert already has 24 receptions and 293 yards this season, which not only bests the “other” Bengals’ tight ends in the Dalton era, but is right on pace with Gresham (30 receptions, 288 yards).

Dalton on best 3-game span in Bengals history

CINCINNATI (AP) — Andy Dalton has heard all the talk: He can't win a big game, his arm isn't strong enough to complete the long pass, and he'll never be more than a caretaker quarterback.

His last three games have changed the conversation.

The third-year quarterback is on the best three-game stretch in Bengals history. He's thrown 11 touchdown passes — no other Bengals quarterback has done that — while hitting every type of throw.

For the first time, he's looking very comfortable in a West Coast offense that the Bengals thought he would grow into someday.

"I don't think there's really anything that's changed in me," Dalton said. "I feel like I'm playing with a lot of confidence and our guys are doing the same thing. That's been big for us.

"We know what we're doing out there, and they're in the right spots and they're making plays. That's kind of what it comes down to."

Cincinnati (6-2) is in control of the AFC North in large part because its quarterback has grown up a lot this season. He's thrown for 300 yards in three straight games, matching the best such streak in club history, according to STATS LLC. The only other Bengals quarterback to do that was Ken Anderson, and the two of them share the No. 14.

All the talk about what he can't do is giving way to wondering how far he can take the Bengals, who play at Miami (3-4) on Thursday night.

"That's one guy who I don't think feeds into all of that other stuff," receiver A.J. Green said. "It just comes with the territory of being the quarterback.

"I've always had faith in him. We all felt like he was going to take us to the next level, and he's showing that now."

The second-round pick from TCU did some impressive things in his first two seasons, taking the Bengals to the playoffs as a wild card each year — no other Cincinnati quarterback had done that. He threw 47 touchdown passes, trailing only Dan Marino and Peyton Manning for most in their first two seasons.

But there were a lot of doubts as well. Much of the credit went to the defense, which was among the league's best. And when the Bengals did reach the playoffs, Dalton had two of his worst games in opening-round losses to Houston.

The Bengals decided to diversify the offense and drafted tight end Tyler Eifert and running back Giovani Bernard, who are dependable receivers. It took a few games before all the pieces started fitting together.

In the last three, it's worked beautifully. Dalton threw a career-high five touchdown passes — four to second-year receiver Marvin Jones — during a 49-9 win over the Jets on Sunday that showed Dalton can dominate a game.

"He put all those balls on the money, especially the deep balls," safety Chris Crocker said.

That's been one of Dalton's biggest shortcomings. During a 19-13 playoff loss at Houston last season, Dalton overthrew an open Green in the end zone in the closing minutes. Dalton spent a lot of time in the offseason working on his throwing motion to get more accuracy on the long passes.

When the Jets came out in man-to-man coverage, the Bengals threw it deep and Dalton connected. Green alone had two catches for more than 50 yards.

"Yeah, that was big," Dalton said. "It's something that's been conscious, that I've worked on. To hit those was definitely gratifying. To know that we've done it in practice, now it's time to do it in some of these games."

One of the most encouraging signs in the past three weeks is the way Dalton has used his other receivers. In his first two years, he'd lock on Green, who was by far his best option. Now, he has more choices and he's using all of them. For instance, Jones has caught six of his 11 touchdown passes in the last three games.

"As long as he does that and doesn't worry about how many catches (Green) has, at the end of the day we'll be fine," coach Marvin Lewis said. "These other guys are getting to the spots and making the plays while they're there. A.J. is going to get his, he's so doggone good."

And for the last three games, his quarterback has been, too.

http://www.pro32.ap.org/article/dalton-best-3-game-span-bengals-history

you'd be surprised to find out there are people out there who actually think Peyton Manning isn't elite.

no I wouldn't.. Some people are just like that..

I remember the first game this year(Broncos vs Ravens). I was on another site during the game.. Even on Mannings like 5-6-7th TD, there wee people saying..yea but it wasn't a bullet, his arm is weak now...he will suck now...calling him noodle arm...lol

Sounds familiar huh...

I wasn't commenting on it, I was just reading and laughing at how stupid people can be...

fwiw, Ron Jaworski was just on the radio.

"Andy Dalton is a great young Quarterback.  I look around the league, and some of these guys I wonder why they are even in the league.  You should be happy with what you have (Dalton)."

He also teased that he was putting out new QB rankings this week and that Dalton will be a bit higher than the 19th he was in the preseason, if you're into that kind of thing.

no I wouldn't.. Some people are just like that..

I remember the first game this year(Broncos vs Ravens). I was on another site during the game.. Even on Mannings like 5-6-7th TD, there wee people saying..yea but it wasn't a bullet, his arm is weak now...he will suck now...calling him noodle arm...lol

Sounds familiar huh...

I wasn't commenting on it, I was just reading and laughing at how stupid people can be...

There are people who don't look at results/production but prefer to look at tools. That's why Blaine Gabbert was a top 10 pick after an undistinguished college career.

• 1 year later...

2015 ANDY DALTON IS ELITE BUMP

As probably every one on here knows, I am a big Dalton fan.  I, however, do not think he is elite...Yet.  I think he has grown tremendously, and would say he's one of the better QB's in the league, but I personally think you have to play at least a few years at the level he's playing at today to be considered elite.

Being elite is such a moving target imo

For instance there have been years that you could make an argument for Eli Manning, hell there were guys calling Flacco elite (I know hard not to laugh). Neither of those guys belong in the conversation now imo

Hell there were years here where Carson was called elite, even though he had never won anything.

Brady, Payton, Rodgers.... and as of the past two years Payton isnt on that list.

Andy is playing at that level right now, but I'm hesitant to put that label on him until he goes out and wins something.

Given that the other thread is locked:

As the 5-0 Bengals head into Sunday’s game in Buffalo (1 p.m.-Cincinnati’s Channel 12), here are some numbers updates:

_With Sunday’s 11th TD pass, Andy Dalton passed Johnny Unitas and Matthew Stafford with 110, the fifth most touchdown passes for a quarterback in his first five seasons. Next on the list are Jeff Garcia (113) and Matt Ryan (127), according to Elias.

_Bengals left end Carlos Dunlap needs 3.5 sacks to pass Justin Smith into fourth place on the all-time Bengals sack list with 44.

_With four sacks, Bengals defensive tackle Geno Atkins is at 36 in his 78-game career, already the club record for sacks by a defensive tackle that was held by nose tackle Tim Krumrie with 34.5.Atkins is in Hall-of-Fame territory. Warren Sapp had 43 sacks in his first 78 games.

_Dalton needs three road wins for the most victories by a visiting quarterback during his first five NFL seasons since the 1970 merger. He’s at 21 and Dan Marino, Ben Roethlisberger, and Matt Ryan are all tied with 23, according to Elias.

_Dalton needs four victories to pass Tom Brady and Dan Marino on the list of most wins by a NFL QB in his first five seasons as compiled by Elias. Brady and Marino are tied in fourth place with 48.

:26:

Archived