THE LAST O-LINE THREAD....i hope...

14 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Maybe. Years of team practice say otherwise. 

The team won't expect Adeniji and Prince to be starters in 2022 but last year's expected O-line of Williams-Spain-Hopkins-XSF-Reiff was pretty questionable from the start. And that was with Burrow coming back from a major knee injury.

Agree..

This years team will have an upgraded

oline

I think there's a shift. For a long time the tackles were premium pieces. Edge defenders are definitely fearsome, but now with more athletic 4 and 3 techs and A gap blitzes, I think the guard - center - guard personnel are more important.  I'd rather have an elite/competent front 3 with average edges now. As long as the tackle knows not to be beat inside, then you're solid.  Makes me sad cause I'm a former tackle, but really you can sell out to deny the inside move.

7 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

How do you know  Williams can play the right side effectively?

Addenijji couldnt..

Daniels,  Armstead,  Scherff want big deals..aliot of guaranteed money.

Sign a vet center...pick one..

draft Johnson if he's there..RG..

Re-Sign Reiff or a similar player contract wise..

Just thoughts..

Because that is the side he got his roster spot in college playing.  Granted he did move to the right side, but it's not like he has not played it.

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

The team won't expect Adeniji and Prince to be starters in 2022 but last year's expected O-line of Williams-Spain-Hopkins-XSF-Reiff was pretty questionable from the start. And that was with Burrow coming back from a major knee injury.

I have knocked the team as much as anyone but over the last two years they added some significant free agents. They have now earned some benefit of the doubt at this point that they will add some much better OL pieces. 

12 hours ago, Jungletiger said:

He played center in the Senior Bowl, peanuts in terms of time but he played the position.  Now if you get him, you don't play him at that position unless something horrible has happened.

I literally said he hasn’t played it other than the senior bowl in what you quoted. 

10 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Hopkins as well.

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

My frustration this year is that we could have had Creed Humphry rather

then damaged goods home boy Jackson Carman. :2dedhorse:

We went to the SB, not sure how there can be much in the way of frustration. We could have drfated different guys at OL but then they may have been injured in TC. Or they accidently injured a key DL or fell back on the QB. You dont know, plain and simple - it is the famous butterfly effect. The important things is the here and now - they need to fix it to keep moving forward.

39 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

We went to the SB, not sure how there can be much in the way of frustration. We could have drfated different guys at OL but then they may have been injured in TC. Or they accidently injured a key DL or fell back on the QB. You dont know, plain and simple - it is the famous butterfly effect. The important things is the here and now - they need to fix it to keep moving forward.

Agree 100%

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I was responding to someone else's frustration about not having Zeitler.

I am, of course, pleased with the way things turned out even with a wart or two.

Whatever Carman may or may not be will be addressed before next season one way or another.

Pretty much saying the same thing and it's all good.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I was responding to someone else's frustration about not having Zeitler.

I am, of course, pleased with the way things turned out even with a wart or two.

Whatever Carman may or may not be will be addressed before next season one way or another.

Pretty much saying the same thing and it's all good.

It is 'all Gouda" as we say in the cheese business. LOL

One other thing I hope this team has learned and it is not just about the OL - every team wants to draft and develop but at some positions, like OL it is never good to count on first year players other than very high picks. Even for the best teams the draft is a crapshoot. When you do find good players, awesome, but fill in holes through FA first. We drfated 3 OL last year and no one knows if 1,2,3 or none will work out. You just cant count on it, so plan accordingly. 

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

It is 'all Gouda" as we say in the cheese business. LOL

One other thing I hope this team has learned and it is not just about the OL - every team wants to draft and develop but at some positions, like OL it is never good to count on first year players other than very high picks. Even for the best teams the draft is a crapshoot. When you do find good players, awesome, but fill in holes through FA first. We drfated 3 OL last year and no one knows if 1,2,3 or none will work out. You just cant count on it, so plan accordingly. 

Are you in the cheese business?

Gouda is my 2nd favorite next to white cheddar..

7 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Hopkins as well.

Which is why, as the year went on, he seemed to stabilize and was OK productive. He knows the line calls well, and sets folks up decently. In the SB, he took more than a few good chips helping out. 

Not saying he’s Mike Webster—and if there is a substantial upgrade available bring ‘em in—but he should have the knee problem totally gone this coming season, and can perform if he is what pans out. 

Of course…

image.jpeg.e134d11264feb3bba03ec2aec8df612c.jpeg

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Which is why, as the year went on, he seemed to stabilize and was OK productive. He knows the line calls well, and sets folks up decently. In the SB, he took more than a few good chips helping out. 

Not saying he’s Mike Webster—and if there is a substantial upgrade available bring ‘em in—but he should have the knee problem totally gone this coming season, and can perform if he is what pans out. 

Of course…

Hopkins was the 35th rated center in a league with 32 teams. Bengals should have replaced him last year. 

6 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Of course…

Apparently Hopkins doesn’t even make the line calls.  For a center of his tenure that is embarrassing.  

I'll dream for a second (although they have the money and capital to do it

What if .... the Bengals signed Orlando Brown Jr and Trent Brown ... giving them 2 6'8 350 lb Tackles ... then move Jonah to LG, Spain to RG, and Trade picks 1,2,3 to go up for Linderbaum. 

O. Brown -- Jonah -- Linderbaum -- Spain -- T. Brown 

Fixed the line issues 

Archived