Jump to content

*** RD 1 BENGALS DRAFT - DAXTON HILL (S) ***


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

So much for unity, eh. 

I have to admit it's a little bit concerning to me.  I know Bates has LOTS of support/friendships with his teammates.  I'd hate to see this become a festering wound in the team chemistry and/or affect how the young players are accepted.

 

I keep telling myself its just a business and all is fair, but I think team chemistry was big part of last year's success.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't he admit to not playing as well for part / most of the regular season last year because he was unhappy with the contract talks?  Then he just pushed it aside mentally for the post-season games and that allowed him to play at a higher level.

 

What I'm getting at is, he was grumpy last year about all of it, so I'm not sure how much if at all it's actually going to affect team chemistry this year compared to last year.  Right now, it's the only real drama to ask about with the team so that's what people are focusing on.  Just seems to me like it was all drowned out last year because of the non-stop second guessing about Chase vs. Sewell which was the easy thing to report on.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

What's better for the team:  playing a rookie, or playing a guy that's only there because he doesn't really have a choice?

 

If the guy is making $13M he's gonna play until he shows he can't. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think the Bengals will sign him to a long term deal now after drafting Hill. So no deal by July 15. That will likely lead Bates to skip camp and pre-season and sign the tender just before the season starts. He won't be in football shape then so Hill will get a lot of snaps and if he plays well could win the starting FS job. Or if Hill struggles, Bates will get more snaps than he otherwise would. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, saphead said:

I'm switching to the Jessie Bates will not sit out camp. Only PQ (pussy quitters) fold their arms, huff & puff until they turn red in the face if they don't get their way. 

 

 

I'm not worried about him sitting out all (or part of) the regular season.  What concerns me is him going into full-on pout mode and half-assing the regular season (kinda like last year only more so).

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2022 at 5:41 AM, saphead said:

I guess Mastur can go hang out with Carson in his cabin in Montana or wherever the F he lives.  Just sit around and talk about how unfair everything is. 

 

 

lol wut.

 

you mean after he played like a whole other half of his career, made more money in less years, had more 4000 yards games in less years, won in the playoffs, or i guess sat around and said stuff was unfair?!?!?!?!

 

this fanbase is wild.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GoBengals said:

this fanbase is wild.

No different than most, I reckon. 
 

Hired hand ain’t smiling ear to ear and taking with glee the first offering made to him to keep being a hired hand. Now, hired hand is not only ungrateful, but rapidly becoming the Devil Incarnate.
 

And newly minted hired hand, is the gracious and infinitely more skilled hired hand. 
 

Nothing new under the Sun. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2022 at 7:35 PM, Jamie_B said:

 

 

 

My bigger concern if he leaves his pout in the locker room when he does p,ay.  Couldn't manage that until the playoffs last year and he is moaggreived this year.  Rather have a 100% rookie Dax than a 60-80% Bates with a pouton.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, snarkster said:

My bigger concern if he leaves his pout in the locker room when he does p,ay.  Couldn't manage that until the playoffs last year and he is moaggreived this year.  Rather have a 100% rookie Dax than a 60-80% Bates with a pouton.

 

I suspect he knows he hurts his next pay day if he is playing at 60-80%.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2022 at 4:15 PM, snarkster said:

Didn't stop him last year.

 

I've seen that from a lot of vets here over the years but I hope that's changing,  One of the outstanding things about JB as far as leadership is that no matter the circumstances he's 100% effort every single snap.  We need more of those "better hide his helmet" type guys.

 

Kind of like the (admittedly gorgeous) classic hit from Bell on JuJu - where was that guy the rest of the season?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

I've seen that from a lot of vets here over the years but I hope that's changing,  One of the outstanding things about JB as far as leadership is that no matter the circumstances he's 100% effort every single snap.  We need more of those "better hide his helmet" type guys.

 

Kind of like the (admittedly gorgeous) classic hit from Bell on JuJu - where was that guy the rest of the season?

I liked JB's jersey that said "Work for it"..

He should wear it at every practuce..

Then again maybe its a bad sign not work all at practice with ZT looking on..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 7:35 PM, Jamie_B said:

 

 

 

Said it before, much like IOL, the Bengals ain't breaking the bank on a safety.  They may end up signing Bates, but at a number they're comfortable with.  I!m betting it's closer to his Tag tender (around $12.5M/yr?) As opposed to the $17M something per at the top of the safety market (where he believes he should be).

 

I'm guessing if he does sign it's in the $14-15M per range with a cap-friendly structure. I don't seehim settling for that and I think there's a less-than-zero chance of a trade before the end of camp.  

 

The more I see/hear of Dax, the more I love the pick.  He's probably as good an athlete as any in the DB room (with possible exceptions of fellow draftees Anderson & CTB.  I think he's capable of stepping into JB's cleats and doing an admirable job if he leaves, but he seems to be versatile & talented enough to play a number of spots well if Bates happens to hang around.  I think could he & Hillcould easily co-exist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, snarkster said:

Said it before, much like IOL, the Bengals ain't breaking the bank on a safety.  They may end up signing Bates, but at a number they're comfortable with.  I!m betting it's closer to his Tag tender (around $12.5M/yr?) As opposed to the $17M something per at the top of the safety market (where he believes he should be).

 

I'm guessing if he does sign it's in the $14-15M per range with a cap-friendly structure. I don't seehim settling for that and I think there's a less-than-zero chance of a trade before the end of camp.  

 

The more I see/hear of Dax, the more I love the pick.  He's probably as good an athlete as any in the DB room (with possible exceptions of fellow draftees Anderson & CTB.  I think he's capable of stepping into JB's cleats and doing an admirable job if he leaves, but he seems to be versatile & talented enough to play a number of spots well if Bates happens to hang around.  I think could he & Hillcould easily co-exist.

Dax Hill's biggest selling point in the draft was his versatility, but oddly enough he played very few snaps in a Bates type free safety role at Michigan. Doesn't mean he can't do it well, just saying this is his first time doing it on a regular basis with Bates missing OTAs.

 

Doubt very seriously that the contract issue with Bates is about overall value, I'm sure it is what it always is with Cincinnati - guaranteed money, It hasn't hurt them that much thus far, that's true, but a reminder : Burrow, Higgins, Chase are going to be in extension talks and the guaranteed money conflict isn't going to go away unless Cincinnati finally decides to make it go away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...