10 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Where we’re at is no different than the past 3 years.  We still have a legitimate chance to win it all, but the division is the toughest in the league and the AFC is loaded.  That’s reality, not an excuse.  It may or may not end up how we want but there’s no games till September.  The roster isn’t even close to being finished and it’s very reasonable to like what has happened to this point.  Especially when guys like Mixon and Jonah are no longer here as many people wanted.  

I don't think that losing Mixon and Jonah necessarily makes us that much better as both of those guys were critical to the recent success that has justified our excitement of the current path of the Bengals.  They have been replaced, but it remains to be seen if their replacements are upgrades. 

I agree that the roster is dynamic and will hopefully add more depth and another playmaker at TE and WR before opening day. 

I would consider bringing Josh Tupou back on a 1-year deal. As a depth piece he gives you experience, knowledge of the D, and some ballast … and other depth like Carter and Maxwell and Jay Tufele may have some skills but heft vs. the run isn’t one of them. 

Domenique Davis gives you some but I’d prefer Tupou at this point. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, BBR said:

Does anybody else understand WTF the Browns are doing with these guarantees on contracts?  Like, hey - you're semi-mid - here's 3 years guaranteed at 5mil+ over your market value per year.

Browns owner is very rich. Jimmy and Dee Haslam sold their truck stop chain to Warren Buffet and collected more than 10 billion for it. They own the Columbus Crew of MLS and have spent freely here in Cbus. The Crew have given them a couple of championships and the Haslams definitely like that.

Watson makes 46 mil per year on a guaranteed deal. He isn't worth that much but the QB market has passed way beyond 46 so he's not outrageously expensive. Amari Cooper makes 20 mil per year but is going into the final season of his contract so Jeudy may be his replacement. Chubb has a 16 mil cap hit this year coming off a major injury so he's likely to take a paycut. Garrett and Ward are well paid but not malcontents. So the Browns aren't in an especially dire cap situation over the next few years.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, texbengal said:

I would consider bringing Josh Tupou back on a 1-year deal. As a depth piece he gives you experience, knowledge of the D, and some ballast … and other depth like Carter and Maxwell and Jay Tufele may have some skills but heft vs. the run isn’t one of them. 

Domenique Davis gives you some but I’d prefer Tupou at this point. 

I don't believe the Bengals will sign Tupou .

He's basically worthless as a run defender no matter how big he is.

Has The Dullton signed anywhere yet? 

Have been lukewarm on the outcomes so far, but then read this and am feeling better!

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/3/18/24104547/free-agency-takeaways-kirk-cousins-dak-prescott-saquon-barkley-justin-fields

4. The Cincinnati Bengals are making moves that make sense.

All right, where are my football hipsters? Grab a PBR, and come on over. Let’s talk about an under-the-radar offseason that has made a lot of sense to me. It’s that of the Cincinnati Bengals! They are not trying to steal any offseason headlines. They’re just trying to fill in some gaps on what is shaping up to be a Super Bowl–caliber roster.

The Bengals defense was a disappointment last season, and that’s where their focus has been in free agency. They signed safety Geno Stone to a two-year, $14 million deal. Stone is entering his age-25 season. He is a ball hawk with a high football IQ. Stone had seven interceptions and nine passes defended for the Ravens last offseason. I love his fit in the scheme of Captain Lou (Anarumo). The Bengals got a young, ascending player who should be an upgrade at the position, and they didn’t have to break the bank to do it. At the other safety spot, they brought back Vonn Bell for just $1.2 million. Bell had three excellent seasons in Cincinnati, but he left last offseason to sign with the Panthers in free agency. That didn’t work out for him, and now he’s back—count that as a huge win for the Bengals.

On the other side of the ball, they signed running back Zack Moss for two years ($8 million with $3 million guaranteed), and they moved on from Joe Mixon. Moss is less expensive than Mixon, and he ran well for the Colts last season. Cincinnati can now pair Moss with second-year player Chase Brown for an inexpensive backfield. If they draft a running back who winds up playing over one or both of those guys, great. If not, they have set a decent floor for the running game without spending significant resources.

In the second wave of free agency late last week, the Bengals brought in defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins (two years, $24.5 million) to try to get some more pass-rush juice. And they’re taking a low-cost flier (one year, $2.5 million with $400,000 guaranteed) on tight end Mike Gesicki.

Not all of these moves will work out, and none are really intended to put the Bengals over the top. But the moves all make sense. Cincinnati already has the big pieces (Burrow, Ja’Marr Chase, Trey Hendrickson) in place. It’s about making smart bets on the margins, and that’s exactly how the team has approached this offseason.

Of course, the Tee Higgins situation is still hanging over them. The Bengals used the franchise tag on him, but Higgins is reportedly looking for a trade. This situation seems pretty straightforward: If another team offers a nice package, you consider it. If not, the Bengals keep Higgins for 2024 and try to go on a run.

Burrow’s injuries ruined the Bengals’ 2023 season, but in many ways, it was still an encouraging year. They found a good backup in Jake Browning and showed they could still be competitive without Burrow. Now you add in what has been a sensible offseason so far, and I see a team that should be right back in the Super Bowl mix.

• Upvote 2

We have 29 roster spots left....10 draft picks.....but I don't think we want 29 rookies on the roster...I'd like them to sign a free agent at every position. I don't really understand it but you can sign some veterans for below the league minimum because of subsidies from the league. 

QB Burrow 29 Browning 25      

This is a camp arm and future practice squader and maybe an assistant quality control coach. I tend to think who would Burrow and Browning benefit most from being on the practice squad. 

-Logan Woodside was a draft pick here some years ago

-Brian Hoyer has been with 11 different NFL teams and is an Ohio Native

-Matt Barkley was with the Bengal already and has been with 12 NFL teams

-AJ McCarron is the most likely as he could play Spring ball in St. Louis and Winter ball in Cincy. He has eventual coach written all over him. Or tattoo artist. 

RB Moss 26 Brown 27 Williams 25 Evans 25   4

One of the draft picks probably goes here for a guy to compete with Evans and Williams. I think it's wisest to do on day 3 because an earlier investment seems like a waste for a player that is unlikely to play for 2 years. (I love Emani Bailey and George Holani). Moss is the FA in this case. Other considerations. 

-Boston Scott: Veteran, great character, will play special teams, won't need loads of snaps to make an impact. 

-Cordoralle Patterson: Probably does too much of what we already have but a dynamic KR, if that matters at all. High character as well. 

-Dare Ogunbowale: 7 special teams tackles last year. 11 the year before. 7 before that. 10 before that. Decent out of the backfield. 

WR Chase 26 Irwin 25 Pryor     3
WR Higgins 25 Iosivas 27 Jackson     3
WR Jones 27 Lassiter       2

We probably have 5 locks and a rookie. And they like those 3 future guys in gray. On a less settled roster they might be battling for a 6th roster spot. I'd still add a veteran slot receiver. And there are plenty of them. 

-Deonte Harty-Just 26, great speed and agility, experience returning punts and kicks, 36 catch, 570 yard season with New Orleans 2 years ago. 

-Scotty Miller-BGSU Grad, 4.39 speed, Just 27, 33-501-3 Season in Tampa 2020

-Jamal Agnew-4.34 speed, older at 29, only played WR for 4 years after starting his NFL career at corner, great kick returner, 

-Quez Watkins-Just 26, 25 career starts, 43 catches for 647 yards in 2021

-Paris Campbell-He's my dude, has the size we like in 6-0 208, Ex OSU guy from Akron, Great kick returner and 4.31 speed before injuries, 63, catches, 623 yards in 2022. 27.

TE Sample 27 Gesicki 25 Hudson 25     3

Gesicki and Sample are a good yin and yang, Hudson was a nice surprise last year. Could use a balanced guy who can both block and catch passes. That probably comes in the draft. 

-CJ Uzomah-He can do both but how well at this point?

-Logan Thomas-Played QB for Zac years ago in Miami when he was starting out.

-Brycen Hopkins-A guy with some upside still who hasn't found footing in LA

LT Brown 27 Carman 25      
LG Volson 26 Ford 25      
C Karras 25 Hill 25 Gilliam    
RG Cappa 26 Kirkland      
RT Brown 25 Smith 25 Cochran 25    

The starters seem settled although many of us would like to have competition at LG. Ford is probably the only lock amongst the backups. 

-Brian Allen was a reserve center in LAR in Taylor's last year there. 

-Conner McGovern was coached by Pollack in 2020 and Riscati in 2019. He has 91 career starts with most snaps at C and RG

-Pat Elflein is from Columbus and played at OSU, coached by Pollack in 2020, injured last year but 64 career starts

-Dalton Risner would compete at LG but reportedly wants too much money. Coached by Riscati at both Denver and Minnesota

-Greg Van Roten had a great year last year but he's 34. Can play both guard spots and center, 71 career starts

-Max Scharping will be brought back I assume, learned center last year

-Cameron Fleming can backup both tackle spots and played for Rascati in 21

K McPherson 25         1
P Robbins 27         1
LS Adomitis 25         1

They will add competition at P and with 10 draft picks it could very well be a back-to-back punter year. There are 6 guys who could be on their radar, 5 kicked last year, 2 are street free agents, one was released by Pitt, 1 is still on the Titans but likely to be cut, 1 is in the UFL, and then there is Dru Chrisman. 

Siposs-SFA 31 59.1 8-43.4-54-2    
Wing-Brahmas 33 58.9 11-45-52-3    
Cooney-SFA 28 58.4 13-45.5-56-2    
Chrisman-FA 27 57.5 28-47.8-65-13   Stats from 2022
Robbins-Bengals 26 56.7 76-44.3-62-20 2027  
Harvin-Stealers 26 51.2 78-43.8-63-30   CC
Zetner-Titans 26 46.9 38-44.9-64-10 2025  

LE Hubbard 26 Sample 25 Ossai 25     3
LT Tufele 25 Bell 25       2
RT Hill 25 Rankins 26 Carter 26 Davis Maxwell 26 5
RE Hendrickson 26 Murphy 27 Gunter     3

The edge spot is somewhat settled and there is lots of 3T talent now. The issue is the NT spot. 

-Austin Johnson played all over the line at 314lbs and had 46 tackles. 

-Teiar Tart seems to be the best fit but he left without a contract, rumors are bad fit off the field

-Albert Huggins has played for 4 teams in 4 years but had 5 starts last year

-Nick Williams is 34 but he fits personality wise and had 7 tackles for loss last year. 48 career starts across 6 teams

-Brian Mone didn't play last year but he is huge 6-3 366

-Mike Purcell fits personality wise but is 33, 45 career starts and 25 tackles last year

-Carl Lawson makes sense for a return on a league minimum deal

-Clowney had 9.5 sacks last year and is available. He's an upgrade to the DE rotation. 

WLB Pratt 26 Davis-Gaither 25 Heyward     3
MLB Wilson 28 Harper 26       2

Bailey and Bachie are probably back at this point but they signed Harper to play and have 10 draft picks many in the spots where depth LB makes a ton of sense. 

-Deion Jones makes some sense. Add a veteran with 91 career starts, great in coverage, captain in ATL but doesn't play special teams. 

S Battle 27 Bell 25 Anderson 26     3
S Stone 26 Hill 27       2

Is Dax Hill a safety? it probably doesn't matter. With Battle-Stone and Bell the 4th  couldsafety be Anderson or a draft pick. They have done enough remaking their Safety position this offseason. 

CB Taylor-Britt 26 Ivey 27       2
CB Turner 27 George       2
NB Hilton 25 Davis 25       2

Could use a veteran to give Ivey and Turner another year to develop. That list is long

-Gilmore would be a catch at 34 still. Started all 17 games last year, 1055 snaps

-Steven Nelson started 16 games last year and picked off 4 balls

-Tradavious White was injured but has upside

-Antonio Hamilton would probably be league minimum, played 559 snaps and played for Anarumo in 2018. 

-Rock Ya Sin has 39 career starts but didn't play much last year

-Akhello Witherspoon is a target for me every year. 17 starts for the Rams last year, 3int

-Xavier Howard was coached by both Burks and Anarumo in Miami. He played 745 snaps but his coverage rating was down

-Patrick Peterson is wrapping up a 200 start career but had 16 last year for Pittsburgh

-Wallace started 9 games for Pitt last year with 11 passes defended. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

We have 29 roster spots left....10 draft picks.....but I don't think we want 29 rookies on the roster...I'd like them to sign a free agent at every position. I don't really understand it but you can sign some veterans for below the league minimum because of subsidies from the league. 

QB Burrow 29 Browning 25      

This is a camp arm and future practice squader and maybe an assistant quality control coach. I tend to think who would Burrow and Browning benefit most from being on the practice squad. 

-Logan Woodside was a draft pick here some years ago

-Brian Hoyer has been with 11 different NFL teams and is an Ohio Native

-Matt Barkley was with the Bengal already and has been with 12 NFL teams

-AJ McCarron is the most likely as he could play Spring ball in St. Louis and Winter ball in Cincy. He has eventual coach written all over him. Or tattoo artist. 

RB Moss 26 Brown 27 Williams 25 Evans 25   4

One of the draft picks probably goes here for a guy to compete with Evans and Williams. I think it's wisest to do on day 3 because an earlier investment seems like a waste for a player that is unlikely to play for 2 years. (I love Emani Bailey and George Holani). Moss is the FA in this case. Other considerations. 

-Boston Scott: Veteran, great character, will play special teams, won't need loads of snaps to make an impact. 

-Cordoralle Patterson: Probably does too much of what we already have but a dynamic KR, if that matters at all. High character as well. 

-Dare Ogunbowale: 7 special teams tackles last year. 11 the year before. 7 before that. 10 before that. Decent out of the backfield. 

WR Chase 26 Irwin 25 Pryor     3
WR Higgins 25 Iosivas 27 Jackson     3
WR Jones 27 Lassiter       2

We probably have 5 locks and a rookie. And they like those 3 future guys in gray. On a less settled roster they might be battling for a 6th roster spot. I'd still add a veteran slot receiver. And there are plenty of them. 

-Deonte Harty-Just 26, great speed and agility, experience returning punts and kicks, 36 catch, 570 yard season with New Orleands 2 years ago. 

-Scotty Miller-BGSU Grad, 4.39 speed, Just 27, 33-501-3 Season in Tampa 2020

-Jamal Agnew-4.34 speed, older at 29, only played WR for 4 years after starting his NFL career at corner, great kick returner, 

-Quez Watkins-Just 26, 25 career starts, 43 catches for 647 yards in 2021

-Paris Campbell-He's my dude, has the size we like in 6-0 208, Ex OSU guy from Akron, Great kick returner and 4.31 speed before injuries, 63, catches, 623 yards in 2022. 27.

TE Sample 27 Gesicki 25 Hudson 25     3

Gesicki and Sample are a good yin and yang, Hudson was a nice surprise last year. Could use a balanced guy who can both block and catch passes. That probably comes in the draft. 

-CJ Uzomah-He can do both but how well at this point?

-Logan Thomas-Played QB for Zac years ago in Miami when he was starting out.

-Brycen Hopkins-A guy with some upside still who hasn't found footing in LA

LT Brown 27 Carman 25      
LG Volson 26 Ford 25      
C Karras 25 Hill 25 Gilliam    
RG Cappa 26 Kirkland      
RT Brown 25 Smith 25 Cochran 25    

The starters seem settled although many of us would like to have competition at LG. Ford is probably the only lock amongst the backups. 

-Brian Allen was a reserve center in LAR in Taylor's last year there. 

-Conner McGovern was coached by Pollack in 2020 and Riscati in 2019. He has 91 career starts with most snaps at C and RG

-Pat Elflein is from Columbus and played at OSU, coached by Pollack in 2020, injured last year but 64 career starts

-Dalton Risner would compete at LG but reportedly wants too much money. Coached by Riscati at both Denver and Minnesota

-Greg Van Roten had a great year last year but he's 34. Can play both guard spots and center, 71 career starts

-Max Scharping will be brought back I assume, learned center last year

-Cameron Fleming can backup both tackle spots and played for Rascati in 21

K McPherson 25         1
P Robbins 27         1
LS Adomitis 25         1

They will add competition at P and with 10 draft picks it could very well be a back-to-back punter year. There are 6 guys who could be on their radar, 5 kicked last year, 2 are street free agents, one was released by Pitt, 1 is still on the Titans but likely to be cut, 1 is in the UFL, and then there is Dru Chrisman. 

Siposs-SFA 31 59.1 8-43.4-54-2    
Wing-Brahmas 33 58.9 11-45-52-3    
Cooney-SFA 28 58.4 13-45.5-56-2    
Chrisman-FA 27 57.5 28-47.8-65-13   Stats from 2022
Robbins-Bengals 26 56.7 76-44.3-62-20 2027  
Harvin-Stealers 26 51.2 78-43.8-63-30   CC
Zetner-Titans 26 46.9 38-44.9-64-10 2025  

LE Hubbard 26 Sample 25 Ossai 25     3
LT Tufele 25 Bell 25       2
RT Hill 25 Rankins 26 Carter 26 Davis Maxwell 26 5
RE Hendrickson 26 Murphy 27 Gunter     3

The edge spot is somewhat settled and there is lots of 3T talent now. The issue is the NT spot. 

-Austin Johnson played all over the line at 314lbs and had 46 tackles. 

-Teiar Tart seems to be the best fit but he left without a contract, rumors are bad fit off the field

-Albert Huggins has played for 4 teams in 4 years but had 5 starts last year

-Nick Williams is 34 but he fits personality wise and had 7 tackles for loss last year. 48 career starts across 6 teams

-Brian Mone didn't play last year but he is huge 6-3 366

-Mike Purcell fits personality wise but is 33, 45 career starts and 25 tackles last year

-Carl Lawson makes sense for a return on a league minimum deal

-Clowney had 9.5 sacks last year and is available. He's an upgrade to the DE rotation. 

WLB Pratt 26 Davis-Gaither 25 Heyward     3
MLB Wilson 28 Harper 26       2

Bailey and Bachie are probably back at this point but they signed Harper to play and have 10 draft picks many in the spots where depth LB makes a ton of sense. 

-Deion Jones makes some sense. Add a veteran with 91 career starts, great in coverage, captain in ATL but doesn't play special teams. 

S Battle 27 Bell 25 Anderson 26     3
S Stone 26 Hill 27       2

Is Dax Hill a safety? it probably doesn't matter. With Battle-Stone and Bell the 4th corner could be Anderson or a draft pick. They have done enough remaking their Safety position this offseason. 

CB Taylor-Britt 26 Ivey 27       2
CB Turner 27 George       2
NB Hilton 25 Davis 25       2

Could use a veteran to give Ivey and Turner another year to develop. That list is long

-Gilmore would be a catch at 34 still. Started all 17 games last year, 1055 snaps

-Steven Nelson started 16 games last year and picked off 4 balls

-Tradavious White was injured but has upside

-Antonio Hamilton would probably be league minimum, played 559 snaps and played for Anarumo in 2018. 

-Rock Ya Sin has 39 career starts but didn't play much last year

-Akhello Witherspoon is a target for me every year. 17 starts for the Rams last year, 3int

-Xavier Howard was coached by both Burks and Anarumo in Miami. He played 745 snaps but his coverage rating was down

-Patrick Peterson is wrapping up a 200 start career but had 16 last year for Pittsburgh

-Wallace started 9 games for Pitt last year with 11 passes defended. 

Again this is MIT Ph D work for football fans. I consider myself a huge Bengals fan but compared to you I'm a small fry. You have to be considered  bengals fan of the year for all the work you put in. This is nothing short of phenomenal like all you post here.  In my mind I don't believe there is anyone working for the bengals who lays this out as well as you.

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I hope the Bengals go after Calais Campbell, he's the best option that is available. I know he's 37 years old but he's still playing at a high level and is a great locker room guy that any young player they bring in can learn from. 

He should definitely have been on the list. He would make an impact somewhere for sure. 

USA Today free agency grade so far... (fuck 'em)

Cincinnati Bengals: C-

Feels like a series of mostly lateral moves, OT Trent Brown replacing Jonah Williams, RB Zack Moss (2 years, $8 million) replacing Joe Mixon, DT Sheldon Rankins (2 years, $24.5 million) replacing D.J. Reader. The new safety couplet of Stone and Vonn Bell is nice. But the unresolved situation around franchised WR Tee Higgins? Not so much.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

USA Today free agency grade so far... (fuck 'em)

Cincinnati Bengals: C-

Feels like a series of mostly lateral moves, OT Trent Brown replacing Jonah Williams, RB Zack Moss (2 years, $8 million) replacing Joe Mixon, DT Sheldon Rankins (2 years, $24.5 million) replacing D.J. Reader. The new safety couplet of Stone and Vonn Bell is nice. But the unresolved situation around franchised WR Tee Higgins? Not so much.

LOL. Comparing Jonah Williams to Trent Brown is laughable.   Brown is a WAY better player.  

Zack Moss is light years better as a pass blocker so we don’t have to take him out on 3rd and 5 situations.  Mixon is a terrible pass blocker. 

There is nothing unresolved about Tee Higgins, he will play under the franchise tag. 

• Upvote 6

12 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I don't think that losing Mixon and Jonah necessarily makes us that much better as both of those guys were critical to the recent success that has justified our excitement of the current path of the Bengals.  They have been replaced, but it remains to be seen if their replacements are upgrades. 

I agree that the roster is dynamic and will hopefully add more depth and another playmaker at TE and WR before opening day. 

Don't have a problem with any of that, the roster is a different subject. I'm simply tired of hearing the players reference a Super Bowl 2 years ago that they lost. They barely managed 9-8 last year. 

I think they could win one this season if they can lock it in and quit talking like they've already done it. Seem a little too up on themselves for a group that just lost every division game that mattered.

Think Zac needs to sit them down day one of camp and give them a reality check. They were average last year. That's what all the yapping earns them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

LOL. Comparing Jonah Williams to Trent Brown is laughable.   Brown is a WAY better player.  

Zack Moss is light years better as a pass blocker so we don’t have to take him out on 3rd and 5 situations.  Mixon is a terrible pass blocker. 

There is nothing unresolved about Tee Higgins, he will play under the franchise tag. 

Don't shoot the messenger... I did say "f-bomb 'em".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Don't shoot the messenger... I did say "f-bomb 'em".

Oh that wasn’t meant for you at all. And Le Tigre was 100% correct.  Some douche just spouting nonsense for clicks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Don't have a problem with any of that, the roster is a different subject. I'm simply tired of hearing the players reference a Super Bowl 2 years ago that they lost. They barely managed 9-8 last year. 

I think they could win one this season if they can lock it in and quit talking like they've already done it. Seem a little too up on themselves for a group that just lost every division game that mattered.

Think Zac needs to sit them down day one of camp and give them a reality check. They were average last year. That's what all the yapping earns them.

You're not putting any context into this, they were 9-8 mainly because the starting QB was hurt for all but 2 games he played in last year. If Burrow is healthy this team has proven to be one of the best in the NFL. 

I believe they have the best offensive line since Burrow has been in NFL and the offense is tailored made for him, he has a pass blocking RB and his former QB coach is now the OC. 

This could definitely be the year they win it all because they will be playing the last place schedule so it will be a weaker schedule than previous years as well, not that it matters because...

• Upvote 1

Nobody is gonna wanna hear this.

We play a last place schedule in the AFCN. 

The teams we have the most trouble with are the ones in our division. Last place doesnt mean much there. 

That's what we have to figure out, if we can win our division games everything else will take care of itself.

• Upvote 3

I’m not sure why that would stir anyone up. The Bengals do not match up well with the teams in the North. The teams in the north haven’t had the success in the playoffs the Bengals have had because they can’t throw the football and turn into mush when they get down two scores.

The Bengals are content to try and go 3-3 or even 2-4 in the north and dog walk the rest of the league. Might cost them a bye/home field but they’ve beat the Chiefs and Bills on the road so I’m not sure that phases them at all. The moves they’ve made have been to stop explosive pass plays and run their offense out of 11. They are gearing up to beat the Chiefs/Bills/Texans not the Browns/Stealers/Ravens

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2