Mike Wallace

I think Reggie Wayne is the perfect guy for a young QB, young WR, young team in general. My guess is that he leaves Indy but follows Peyton to whereever he ends up.

Meacham is unlikely to get paid in NO so he might be a good option although I have never been in love with him. I really like Manningham but I am not sure he could handle the top position should something happen to Green and I think thats important.

I will try and think of this from Wallace's position: sure I'll get paid by the Bengals...but I'll be their "other guy" and not the #1 that I already am on the Stealers--and would also be on the Rats.

These guys want jack to be sure...but they also want to be "The Man".

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1329753921' post='1097473']
I will try and think of this from Wallace's position: sure I'll get paid by the Bengals...but I'll be their "other guy" and not the #1 that I already am on the Stealers--and would also be on the Rats.

[/quote]

I don't think they care about being the #1 as much as they care about being paid like a #1.

Like I said...the loot comes big-time into play.

But, I wouldn't downplay the effect of already being a #1 receiver on a perennial powerhouse (or getting paid AND moving to another perennial powerhouse as their #1)...as opposed to moving over to a team and just being AJ's shadow.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1329754115' post='1097474']

I don't think they care about being the #1 as much as they care about being paid like a #1.
[/quote]

This. Any WR that comes in via FA or the draft will have to accept being #2. AJ is that good and entering only his sophomore year.

We are in a huge position of power here and could at the very least put Pittsburgh in a tougher bind than they already are.

To Weston:

Don't know. How many times do receviers of Wallace's quality ever even potentially hit the FA market? That would be..."not often".

Maybe Boldin was the best of recent vintage. Other than that...who else?

On top of that, how many teams in the past who might in theory pitch woo at an elite FA WR with a guy like Green already in house have the unreal amount of space under the cap the Bengals do?

That would be likely "none".

Point is, I don't think historical precedent works, because I am not sure there is precedent for this kind of situation.

I think he is worth the draft pick.... however, do we really want him? I mean really? he has one good play - it's a go route down the sideline... kinda a chad.... without the mouth... but Lord he's a STEELER.... i'd rather pass.... if he'd played for miami or washington anyone outside this division... but not a squeeler...... hell who knows what he picked up in the locker room from Big Ben..... infestation.....and if he was that great - how did Denver shut him down.....

72 catches, 1200 yards. In the last two years, only one WR in football has more TD catches.

he is WAY better than you are giving him credit and has more in his arsenal than one "go" route.

As for him being a Steeler, I could genuinely give a shit. I want this team to strike while it is poised to do so. Adding Wallace to Green makes this team a legit threat for the AFC title (assuming a decent draft otherwise and a few more mid-level FA signings).

I got the stats part... i got the great WR part.... I just don't want him... Now that being said... like TO... the first time his little hands touched the football and the arms went up for 6 points.... i didn't care anymore - he was a bengal... so i'm sure i would get over it after that first touchdown...

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1329757864' post='1097492']
I like the idea of taking Wallace away from the stealers. But I'm not a fan of them having 2 first round picks. I might just rather take Floyd or Wright.
[/quote]

yea that's the sticking point for me. I'm a fan of having wallace, I'm ok with giving the money it would take, but I'm not a fan of giving a division rival an extra first round pick.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1329753921' post='1097473']

[/quote]

You sure he isn't already the "other guy" in Pittsburgh. They were going to Antonio Brown a lot more than Wallace by the end of the season.

I understand the argument of Wallace Not wanting to play second fiddle to green. But If he is smart, he would realize how well that could work for him. Having a guy like aj across the field means the beat cb will usually be on aj and the saftey will also be floating that way. That should give Wallace the opportunity to get more 1 on 1 coverage and put up huge numbers.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1329757864' post='1097492']
I like the idea of taking Wallace away from the stealers. But I'm not a fan of them having 2 first round picks. I might just rather take Floyd or Wright.
[/quote]

that's likely going to happen whether we like it or not. if we're understanding the new language correctly, wallace is gone and it's a done deal. it's just a matter of where he's going and how high of an additional 1st round pick pittsburgh's going to get. but at this stage it is looking like they are going to have two firsts this year.

[b] [size=6]Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave[/size][/b]

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 21, 2012, 9:48 AM EST

Ordinarily, when a team has a good young player who becomes a restricted free agent, that team does what it needs to do and keeps that good young player in the fold. But it’s becoming increasingly clear that Steelers receiver [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5329/mike-wallace"]Mike Wallace[/url] is not in an ordinary situation.

Wallace becomes a restricted free agent in three weeks, and does so in the first year of the new rules for restricted free agents: A team that wants to sign Wallace away from the Steelers would now only have to forfeit a first-round pick to Pittsburgh, whereas in the past, signing Wallace away would have cost a first-round pick and a third-round pick.

And the Steelers are in a different situation than most teams because the Steelers are in such precarious salary cap shape. Another team with a good restricted free agent like Wallace would put the franchise tag on him, but the Steelers would have to cut a bunch of other players to squeeze the $9.4 million franchise tender under their salary cap.

The Steelers are also in a tough spot because [url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/14/steelers-will-face-receiver-dilemma-again-in-2013/"]they know they’re going to face the same situation again next year[/url] when another receiver, [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5698/antonio-brown"]Antonio Brown[/url], also becomes a restricted free agent. Brown was voted the Steelers’ MVP in 2011, and the Steelers would like to keep him beyond 2012, the final year of his current contract. But if the Steelers sign Wallace to a long-term deal, will they have devoted so many resources toward one receiver that they can’t afford another lucrative contract for another receiver? And if all the Steelers do is sign Wallace to a one-year tender offer this year, then the Steelers will be faced with both Wallace and Brown becoming free agents a year from now. (Steelers receiver [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5885/emmanuel-sanders"]Emmanuel Sanders[/url] becomes a restricted free agent next year, too.)

Add all this up, and the Steelers may be painted into a corner where they just won’t be able to match a lucrative offer that some other team gives to Wallace. As Ed Bouchette of the [i]Pittsburgh Post-Gazette[/i] noted on Monday’s [i]PFT Live[/i] and [url="http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114962-ed-what-is-mike-wallace-worth"]wrote about in a piece this morning[/url], the Steelers may just have to accept the fact that Wallace isn’t a player they can afford right now. And there are worse things than getting another first-round draft pick, which is what they would get from a team that signs Wallace to a restricted free agent offer sheet that the Steelers don’t match.

The Patriots and Ravens have both been mentioned as teams that might be interested in signing Wallace. Both teams would like to add a great deep threat to their passing game and would also like to take away a great deep threat from one of their AFC rivals, and both teams pick late in the first round of this year’s draft and would view Wallace as more likely to help them get to the Super Bowl in the coming years than whoever they would draft at the end of round one.

It’s still possible that the Steelers will decide that Wallace is just too important to lose, and that they have to make painful choices elsewhere to keep him. But with three weeks to go before free agency begins, it’s beginning to look like the Steelers will lose one of the best young receivers in football.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/21/talk-heats-up-in-pittsburgh-that-mike-wallace-could-leave/

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1329836726' post='1097835']
[b] [size=6]Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave[/size][/b]

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 21, 2012, 9:48 AM EST

[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/21/talk-heats-up-in-pittsburgh-that-mike-wallace-could-leave/"]http://profootballta...ce-could-leave/[/url]
[/quote]

Aging teams apparently wind up with a boatload of veteran contracts.

Archived