Mike Wallace

[quote name='BlackBengal' timestamp='1329848612' post='1097924']
We are not going to sign Wallace. It's silly to even discuss.
[/quote]

No it's not.. It's an interesting situation with a myriad of possible implications within our division.. It's the perfect thing to discuss at this time.. Which is why this thread is 11 pages long.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1329762444' post='1097526']

that's likely going to happen whether we like it or not. if we're understanding the new language correctly, wallace is gone and it's a done deal. it's just a matter of where he's going and how high of an additional 1st round pick pittsburgh's going to get. but at this stage it is looking like they are going to have two firsts this year.
[/quote]

Yeah, but if the Bengals sign him, the Steelers would have one extra 1st rounder PLUS the Bengals would have one LESS 1st rounder.

[quote name='AZBengal' timestamp='1329855193' post='1097949']

Yeah, but if the Bengals sign him, the Steelers would have one extra 1st rounder PLUS the Bengals would have one LESS 1st rounder.
[/quote]

It would also leave the Steelers with one less young Pro Bowler and the Bengals with one more young Pro Bowler. As precious as 1st rounders are, they are still unproven assets.

[/quote]

You're looking at it all wrong.

It would be like the Bengals traded Carson Palmer for Mike Wallace and a 2nd round pick.

I just hope that the 49ers will. They are near the top of the league in cap and they pick like 28th. Mike Wallace for what is nearly a 2nd round pick and it gets him the hell out of our division. WIN-WIN.

I wouldn't mind having him either, but as long as its not Baltimore or Pittsburgh I'm cool with it.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1329871496' post='1098011']

You're looking at it all wrong.

It would be like the Bengals traded Carson Palmer for Mike Wallace and a 2nd round pick.
[/quote]

AND moved up 4 spots in the process.

[/quote]

true. but the flip side is we'd have an established WR that comes in with no question marks. there's not a 1st round rookie WR that you can make that claim about with 100% certainty.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1329875573' post='1098046']

true. but the flip side is we'd have an established WR that comes in with no question marks. there's not a 1st round rookie WR that you can make that claim about with 100% certainty.
[/quote]

There are so many other receivers we can get without giving up a 1st rounder. Vincent Jackson, is one that comes to mind. Pierre Garcon, Marques Colston, Mario Manningham would fit lovely in this offense the way he runs routes, and that is what this team needs more that just a deep threat. Wallace lines up outside the numbers and goes. We have A.J. for that. we need that other side threat that will produce on crisp precise passing. Someone inline with running the West Coast Offense.

Why give them a 1st round pick when we can get the same value elsewhere AND still have our 2 first round picks?

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1329877617' post='1098052']

There are so many other receivers we can get without giving up a 1st rounder. Vincent Jackson, is one that comes to mind. Pierre Garcon, Marques Colston, Mario Manningham would fit lovely in this offense the way he runs routes, and that is what this team needs more that just a deep threat. Wallace lines up outside the numbers and goes. We have A.J. for that. we need that other side threat that will produce on crisp precise passing. Someone inline with running the West Coast Offense.

Why give them a 1st round pick when we can get the same value elsewhere AND still have our 2 first round picks?
[/quote]

if you paid attention you'd notice i didn't make that argument. stay on point, please. we are of the same mindset in this arena.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1329879709' post='1098059']

if you paid attention you'd notice i didn't make that argument. stay on point, please. we are of the same mindset in this arena.
[/quote]

I don't know what you guys are thinking, I think the Bengals should use both draft picks to move up and get Ki'jana Carter. He was a stud at Penn State. I hear he is tough too, at Penn State it's even rough in the showers.

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1329877617' post='1098052']

[/quote]

I would argue that you are selling AJ Green short. It looks like you are implying that he too is "just a deep threat" and we need an all around guy opposite him.

Mike Wallace is the type of deep threat that forces the opposing defense to keep a safety deep on his side of the field and in essence double team him. That would free AJ up. I would argue that AJ is going to be the precise route runner that can do absolutely everything and be a 100 catch, 1500 yard type guy in the mold of Andre Johnson. AJ can do it all. If you look at it from that perspective, we don't necessarily need a "do it all" type guy across from him. A big play guy who demands doubles across the field from AJ actually is a great fit.

Now, whether Wallace is worth the money/pick, different argument.

But I absolutely don't buy that Wallace would not be a fantastic fit here. If a team doesn't double him or AJ, those guys can beat single coverage all day. And if teams basically have to double team those guys, Gresham and Shipley can tear teams apart in the middle of the field against single coverage. Not to mention the benefits to the running game of forcing teams to keep both their safeties deep...

I wasn't aware that the Pats had two first round picks. Seems like there is a good chance that Mike could certainly end up somewhere else.

I know for certain that he would be the best player that we could get with pick #21. Question is, do we want to have two #1 WR salaries on our books in a few years when they decide to extend AJ? Is Mike worth the money he is going to want for being mostly a burner?

Archived