Give me Vick or Alex Smith in 2013

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1357504094' post='1205537']

Um...what? If the offense can't execute and SCORE, then we can't win big games.
[/quote]

You must have stopped reading. The offense sputtered against Pittsburgh & Houston largely because the Bengals were on the road and had trouble checking in and out of plays. Had the Bengals won some gimmes (Cleveland & Miami), they would have been hosting the game this weekend, not having to battle crowd noise.

Andrew Luck couldn't lead the Colts to a touchdown today. Guess what. That shit happens in the playoffs. It's HARD to win on the road in January.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' timestamp='1357509465' post='1205585']
things might be different if gresham could catch simple passes. then they wouldnt have been able to just pass rush like they were cuz there would have been a threat in hte middle. after that first drive they had to have no fear of gresham.
[/quote]

was thinking about that last night. If Gresham merely makes that catch on the first drive, it probably flips time of possession by nearly 2 minutes and possibly takes one of their FG's off the board in a close game.

A lot of what if's, but something to consider in close games. Every time a team gets a first down, it basically eats up another good minute and a half of clock.

Not only does it keep the defense fresher, it keeps their offense off the field.

[quote name='Big Alice' timestamp='1357509602' post='1205587']

You must have stopped reading. The offense sputtered against Pittsburgh & Houston largely because the Bengals were on the road and had trouble checking in and out of plays. Had the Bengals won some gimmes (Cleveland & Miami), they would have been hosting the game this weekend, not having to battle crowd noise.

Andrew Luck couldn't lead the Colts to a touchdown today. Guess what. That shit happens in the playoffs. It's HARD to win on the road in January.
[/quote]

Hold on, there, big Alice, you're talking about Andrew Luck, dammit! He threw for at least 4 potential TD's in that game, they just didn't give him credit for them!

[/quote]

more succintly, its very common for young QB's to struggle in the playoffs. Heck, Peyton Manning lost his first 3 playoff games, Matt Ryan has lost his first 3.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1357509004' post='1205578']
I agree. Gruden pisses me off. I know he can't make Gresham catch the ball to keep the drive alive, but yesterday reminded me of the Dallas game a little bit
[/quote]
[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357509425' post='1205584']
not a surprise that this team's last 2 losses have that in common.
[/quote]

Don't forget the playoff loss to the Jets. Cedric was stomping all over their defense and in the second half, down by a couple scores (it was less than two TD's IIRC), when they have no viable receiver options outside of Chad Johnson, what do they do? Why throw it all over the place of course!

It's utterly maddening. It's shit like that that makes me want Marvin Lewis gone. Surely he can step on Gruden's (or in the case of the Jets game with Bratkowski) dick and say "hey...we're throwing the ball too much and it isn't successful. Let's go back to pounding it on the ground to open up the play action fake" or something similar. It's CRAZY. We panic when we don't need to...whether it be throwing the ball when we don't HAVE to at any point in a game, calling stupid timeouts, challenging dumb shit that has no chance of being overturned, NOT challenging calls that would....ugh. It's hard to be a Bengals fan.

[/quote]

Well yeah, but good teams find a way to overcome crowd noise for their offense, through hand signals or whatever. We aren't all that good of a team, and a lot of that is on our leadership: coaches and our QB.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1357510446' post='1205593']
Well yeah, but good teams find a way to overcome crowd noise for their offense, through hand signals or whatever.
[/quote]

Close. Great teams are able to win on the road in the playoffs. The Bengals aren't there yet. Good teams sneak in as wild cards and lose in the first round.

Continuity is important. There was too much youth to get over the hump. There is a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. A couple additions and this team can be great.

The thing that kills me is that, at this point, real "success" should be AT LEAST winning the AFC Championship. Is there really anyone here that believes the 2012 Bengals were going to beat Tom Brady or Peyton Manning on the road? If so, you're absolutely dillusional.

For everyone who's screaming for major changes, I have one question. How did you not kill yourself after the '09 season?

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357492929' post='1205424']
yep. I honestly don't know if Dalton will become a championship caliber QB. I do know however that you can't ask for much more than what he's given you over his first two years as QB.

2 playoff appearances, Progression from year 1 to year 2 ending the year in the top 10 of many statistical categories.
[/quote]

The reality is the game plan was just god awful yesterday. Why is it every other team I watched this weekend seems to see something DURING the game then calls a play and either gets a receiver wide open or their RB rips one for big yardage? Do our receivers ever get wide open? Our coaches (besides Zimmer) just flat out suck making adjustments during a game. Gruden's offense was predictable, simplistic and never seemed to take advantage of what the defense was doing. Compare that to the other teams minus Houston.

The worst part of yesterday was it was a horribly boring game. Besides Leon making one huge play and ONE pass to AJ, the game was just awful to watch.

[center][img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_meeygsVegj1ra90n2o1_500.jpg[/img][/center]
[center][size=5][b]ANDY DALTON is one of three players in [color=#FF3300][u]NFL history[/u] [/color][/b][/size][size=5][b]to [/b][/size][size=5][b]have [/b][/size][size=5][b]20-plus touchdown [/b][/size][/center]
[center][size=5][b]passes in his first two seasons, joining DAN MARINO and PEYTON MANNING.[/b][/size][/center]

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1357519658' post='1205673']
[center][img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_meeygsVegj1ra90n2o1_500.jpg[/img][/center]
[center][size=5][b]ANDY DALTON is one of three players in [color=#FF3300][u]NFL history[/u] [/color][/b][/size][size=5][b]to [/b][/size][size=5][b]have [/b][/size][size=5][b]20-plus touchdown [/b][/size][/center]
[center][size=5][b]passes in his first two seasons, joining DAN MARINO and PEYTON MANNING.[/b][/size][/center]
[/quote]

Unfortunately my friend, history will prove this is no more than a statistical anomaly and gingers really do have no souls.

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1357519658' post='1205673']
[/quote]

Oh great so we have a fifty fifty chance of never winning a Super Bowl with him as qb.

[quote name='DontPushMe' timestamp='1357517603' post='1205648']
Very poor from him. Wasnt impressed at all. He'll get another year, because Smith & Vick are worse than him, and the draft class sucks, but if he doesnt take a big step forward its time to look for his replacement.
[/quote]

Smith is good

[quote name='sneaky' timestamp='1357528842' post='1205739']
Unfortunately my friend, history will prove this is no more than a statistical anomaly and gingers really do have no souls.
[/quote]

While its quite an accomplishment, it's also quite an abberation as well. Matter of fact, after next year that number will more than likely grow to five. Up until a few years ago, most quarterbacks sat and watched for a year or two unless they were truly special. Times have a changed do to quarterbacks being more ready as college offenses are more sophisticated and diverse than ever, not to mention the nfl is a business and everyone is under pressure to win NOW. The Jake Locker's of the world(sat behind hasselbeck all year) are rare now a days. The amount of quarterbacks that will throw for 20+ TD's in their first two years will continue to rise at a rapid rate.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1357529531' post='1205744']

Oh great so we have a fifty fifty chance of never winning a Super Bowl with him as qb.

Smith is good
[/quote]
Smirh was 6-2-1 with a QB rating of 104 this year. Harbaugh simply wanted a guy with way more mobility at QB.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1357529531' post='1205744']

Smith is good
[/quote]

IMO Smith has peaked at a level comparable to where Dalton is currently. Dalton at least still has upside.

[quote name='SouthPaw' timestamp='1357530006' post='1205751']

While its quite an accomplishment, it's also quite an abberation as well. Matter of fact, after next year that number will more than likely grow to five. Up until a few years ago, most quarterbacks sat and watched for a year or two unless they were truly special. Times have a changed do to quarterbacks being more ready as college offenses are more sophisticated and diverse than ever, not to mention the nfl is a business and everyone is under pressure to win NOW. The Jake Locker's of the world(sat behind hasselbeck all year) are rare now a days. The amount of quarterbacks that will throw for 20+ TD's in their first two years will continue to rise at a rapid rate.
[/quote]

It's a QB driven league and since the better QBs usually go to rebuilding teams or teams already having QB issues, there really is no reason to sit them ie Dalton, Newton, RGIII, Luck, Ponder, Wilson.

i'd prefer to draft someone, i dont want anyone elses scraps. I like the skillset of Landry Jones he isnt as polished as some, but he has all of the tools, Of the video I have found he is making good reads and quick decisions, accurate on the run, etc. he should be a mid-late second rounder, we have 2 2nds i think, not like gradkowski is ever going to step in and do anything on the team, and if he was "teaching" anything to dalton(ala kitna) then he either isnt a good teacher or it isnt going to matter...

a late 2nd round pick is a very low risk pick, even if he sits and learns, etc...

we play some explosive offensive teams next year, the same QB will land us at 7-9 or 8-8. the defense wont be slowing down the patriots, packers, colts, vikings, lions, bears, let alone our own division issues, our offense couldnt even take the ravens backups, it took the defense starters scoring a TD against the ravens offensive backups to win the game... hell even the browns defense make a joke out of dalton.

a winning record isnt going to get handed to us like it was this year, i appreciate the steelers collapse and ravens resting players, but its all wasted on yet another embarrassing playoff "appearance"

aj green's career is going to get wasted, if people having noticed the frustration on his face all season long, an especially in the playoff game, youre in a dream world...

its miserable.

[quote name='SouthPaw' timestamp='1357530006' post='1205751']
The amount of quarterbacks that will throw for 20+ TD's in their first two years will continue to rise at a rapid rate.
[/quote]
[b]Cam Newton #1 pick started both years and didn't do it ...[/b]

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1357531488' post='1205773']
[b]Cam Newton #1 pick started both years and didn't do it ...[/b]
[/quote]

Ummm, he fell one passing touchdown shy, set the rookie passing record(at the time) for yards, and has averaged 700+ yds rushing and 8tds on the ground through two years, not to mention he has 1002 passing attempts to Dalton's 1044. Not even close to a comparison.

By the way.....with this current team, who would you rather have Cam Newton or Andy Dalton?

*Also barring injury you can already go ahead and add Luck, Griffin, and Wilson(tied single season touchdown record for a rookie) to the list. I'll exclude Luck and Griffin as they are a given, but there isnt a person on this site that wouldnt take Russell Wilson's third round arse over Andy Dalton at this point.

[quote name='SouthPaw' timestamp='1357532236' post='1205782']
Ummm, he fell one passing touchdown shy, set the rookie passing record(at the time) for yards, and has averaged 700+ yds rushing and 8tds on the ground through two years, not to mention he has 1002 passing attempts to Dalton's 1044. Not even close to a comparison.

[b]By the way.....with this current team, who would you rather have Cam Newton or Andy Dalton?[/b]

*Also barring injury you can already go ahead and add Luck, Griffin, and Wilson(tied single season touchdown record for a rookie) to the list. I'll exclude Luck and Griffin as they are a given, but there isnt a person on this site that wouldnt take Russell Wilson's third round arse over Andy Dalton at this point.
[/quote]

Dalton? Why is that even a question? You can spout whatever rushing stats you want, but Dalton has 6 more career wins and 2 more playoff appearances. And only one of them has been called out by his #1 WR for pouting on the sidelines.

[quote name='Big Alice' timestamp='1357438738' post='1205018']
There's an awful lot of retarded motherfuckers on this board tonight.

Michael Vick has completed 250 passes in a season once (253 last year). Dalton competed at least 300 in each of his two seasons. I'll take a 25 year old Dalton over a 33 year old Vick every single day of the week.

[u][b]Alex Smith? That is the single stupidest fucking suggestion in the history of this board. Seriously.[/b][/u]

Here's some perspective... Peyton Manning didn't get his first playoff win until his sixth season.

Andy Dalton is the future of this franchise. The problem wasn't the offense sputtering the last couple weeks. It was the overconfidence that cost them 3 winnable games in October. If they had won the games they should have, they wouldn't have had to go on the road to open the playoffs.
[/quote]

Thank god someone else had said this. I live in Norcal, and have to hear about the 49ers every week and I watch him every week (when he was playing). Smith sucks. We wouldn't be able to utilize him without a run game anyway.

Basically, Smith is good enough to be tossed in there as long as you keep his pass rate down, and tell him to go out there and NOT MAKE MISTAKES rather than telling him to go out there to win the game.

So the difference Between Dalton and Smith? Dalton is in there and is told to win games. Smith is in there and told not to make mistakes. Smith isn't in there to win games, his running game, and D is in there to win games.

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1357531268' post='1205770']
i'd prefer to draft someone, i dont want anyone elses scraps. I like the skillset of Landry Jones he isnt as polished as some, but he has all of the tools, Of the video I have found he is making good reads and quick decisions, accurate on the run, etc. he should be a mid-late second rounder, we have 2 2nds i think, not like gradkowski is ever going to step in and do anything on the team, and if he was "teaching" anything to dalton(ala kitna) then he either isnt a good teacher or it isnt going to matter...

a late 2nd round pick is a very low risk pick, even if he sits and learns, etc...

we play some explosive offensive teams next year, the same QB will land us at 7-9 or 8-8. the defense wont be slowing down the patriots, packers, colts, vikings, lions, bears, let alone our own division issues, our offense couldnt even take the ravens backups, it took the defense starters scoring a TD against the ravens offensive backups to win the game... hell even the browns defense make a joke out of dalton.

a winning record isnt going to get handed to us like it was this year, i appreciate the steelers collapse and ravens resting players, but its all wasted on yet another embarrassing playoff "appearance"

aj green's career is going to get wasted, if people having noticed the frustration on his face all season long, an especially in the playoff game, youre in a dream world...

its miserable.
[/quote]

97 catches 1400 or so yards and 12 tds is "wasted"?

Im kind of on the fence about AD, but at the end of the day there is no way in hell the bengals are replacing a QB that made it to the playoffs in his first two seasons, is cheap, and is putting up decent numbers like his is (say the numbers are skewed all you frickin want).

So lets worry about how we can make this team and AD better in 2013 instead of talking about something that isnt going to fucking change.

Archived