The NFL is Considering Changes to the Extra Point

I always wondered when I would get old enough for "get off my lawn" sentiments to start popping up, but here's one popping up for me at the age of 43. This seems an unnecessary theoretical change. I like what I am familiar with. Get off my lawn, Goodell. 

It seems to me that the managers of the NFL haven't thought this through far enough. They haven't considered two crucial elements which would make this more in tune with modern society. First, there should be an ad/marketing/sponsorship opportunity associated with the change. Second, it isn't anti-labor enough to suit the timbre of current corporativism. I propose that they go the "kill two birds with one stone" route by calling it the Frank's Red Hot touchdown challenge. If a team scores a touchdown from within the red zone, they not only get seven points, but the opposing team's kicking crew (kicker, holder and long snapper) must chug a shot glass of Frank's Red Hot sauce. If any of the chuggers are unsuccessful (e.g. projectile vomiting, etc...) then the scoring team gets another point. If the touchdown comes from outside the red zone, then the opposing team has to remove one piece of equipment for the rest of the game--call it the Under Armor Strip Football Challenge. It's a win/win: lots of bucks to be made and the working stiffs get humiliated, too.

I think Rodger should find a job more attuned to his skills, such as a mime or a chimney sweep...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s13kIrd86w[/media]

I agree. No PATs, no kick-offs. Just backyard football rules, Two completions is a first down instead of 10 yards. Offensive linemen are boring too. No OL, just have the defensive linemen count steamboats.

But seriously, Goodell, leave shit alone.

The losing a point is too gimmicky. I agree that they should move the xp kick only back to the 20.

At the risk of also sounding gimmicky, adding a 3 pt. kick from the 35 might be interesting and make kickers even move valuable. A different game in Denver. On second read maybe this is dumb too.

They shouldn't have described it as losing a point.  They should have just said you can get one point added automatically or forego that and go for two.  But it's really just semantics.  It would be just like now except there would be no kick for those choosing to add one point to their touchdown.

My guess is that they wouldn't put a "7" on the scoreboard until the decision was made about which extra point was going to be attempted.  If they did put up a "7" and then reduce it to a "6", that would definitely be gimmicky.

I like the idea of moving the spot of the kick back to the 25, so it becomes a 42 yard kick.

The XP is a pointless play because it is converted 99% of the time. I like the fact that 1 TD requires 3 FGs to outscore it. I also like the idea of making the 2pt conversion the only option. Maybe they should make the TD worth 7 points and 2pt conversion to follow. Then it would take 3 FGs to = a TD + conversion.

Exactly. 99% of the time.

It's NOT a guarantee. Anyone else find that PAT when you've clawed back to tie the game to be one of the most nerve-wracking things around? It's because we know it's not a given. People have missed.

Remember that Saints Jags game?

Leave the NFL alone. Or at least leave PATs alone.

Exactly. 99% of the time.

It's NOT a guarantee. Anyone else find that PAT when you've clawed back to tie the game to be one of the most nerve-wracking things around? It's because we know it's not a given. People have missed.

Remember that Saints Jags game?

Leave the NFL alone. Or at least leave PATs alone.

That's why I didn't get excited during the AJ Hail Mary touchdown vs Ravens. I thought it would be typical if we missed the extra point after a play like that

Ok, here is the solution that makes some sense.

In order to make the PAT (kick) meaningful, you need to increase the distance to a point that makes it actually have an effect on the decision making process.

The success rate for FGs where the ball is placed around the 15 is around 90%.  

Doing the math, for every 10 PATs kicked from this range, you should expect your team to get 9 points.  Still a pretty high amount.

The 2 point conversion is converted successfully about 44% of the time in the NFL.  Thus, for every 10, 2 point conversion attempted, you should expect about 8.8 points total.

In my opinion, I don't think this would be enough to change offensive strategy and the coaches would still refer to their scenario charts to decide unless their kicker simply sucked.

However, if you place the ball at the 20, things change.  Success rate at that range is around 80%.  Now, if you just go by averages, a team can expect to score 8 points per 10 kicks rather than 9.   Strictly from an math standpoint, going for the 2 pt conversion makes more sense.   Furthermore, based on weather, surface, your ability to convert 2 pointers and your kicker there would be way more game planning around the PAT.

Ex.  Your team believes it is really good at the 2 pt conversion and think their kicker is below average.  After your first TD you go for 2 and convert.  Now the other team has to gameplan around the fact that you have 8 rather than 7 points.  Any future TD you would probably kick the 1 pointer ( if you have a really good kicker) and the other factors.  Even if you miss the first one, you simply go for 2 again based on the math.

Therefore, as the newly appointed commissioner for a day, I hereby move the PAT starting point to the 20 yard line.

How about... leave well enough alone.

Still think of the game vs Miami last year, and the controversy is still around, strangely enough,

where Marv should have gone for two for a change at a tying field goal and didn't.

Besides, blocked extra points are rare but exciting when the do happen.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Put the ball at the three.  Running it in gets you one point, throwing gets you two.  I think that would work well.  Although, one could argue it would be easier to throw it in than running it at this point.

It would get to the after-touchdown commercial quicker and get them out of the way.  :D

You would think - but you know those cretins would find a way to shoehorn a few more in there anyway. Make up for extra time not needed for the XP.

You would think - but you know those cretins would find a way to shoehorn a few more in there anyway. Make up for extra time not needed for the XP.

Come on Cat, you act like TV revenue is important to the owners and commish.  Phatt!!    :ninja:

I like it. I always thought that extra point was fucking stupid. I even recommended it 4 yrs ago here on the site. I was laughed at. Gimme my royalties NFL :)

i also like the concept.. just forcing them to go for 2 would also be good.

but the 6 points or 9 points is cool too as it lines up with field goals and things making ties, etc..

Like I posted earlier in this thread, there is nothing new under the sun. This concept (among many other ones) has already been tried on the competitive level. Why the NFL has seen fit to copy and paste multiple circus rules from a nearly 40-year defunct professional football league is beyond me, but that is the "fan-friendly" Goliath it is.     

Like I posted earlier in this thread, there is nothing new under the sun. This concept (among many other ones) has already been tried on the competitive level. Why the NFL has seen fit to copy and paste multiple circus rules from a nearly 40-year defunct professional football league is beyond me, but that is the "fan-friendly" Goliath it is.     

Simply put, the PAT is no longer a real part of almost every game.   Anything that works 99% percent of the time and rarely has any real impact in the course of almost every game is a waste of time.  Move it back or just make them go for 1 point from the 3 yard line by passing or throwing would actually be meaningful.  

It is simply a non play.  Even the closer kickoff has only increased the number of touchbacks to about 55% which is less often than 99%.

Why no "Scramble for the Ball" then?

I like celebrating a touchdown, pausing for 30 seconds, then celebrating the touchdown again after the PAT. This idea is very stupid to me, but it's the growing trend with the NFL. Turn football into sports entertainment. We're almost there. 

We need to add celebration time after the booth review delay as well.

Archived