Bengals weren't pleased with Jermaine Gresham in 2013; More Tyler Eifert in Year 2

The Bengals tried utilizing the 2-tight end formation in 2013 after drafting Tyler Eifert in the first round to pair with Jermaine Gresham.

The results were not quite as good as everyone had hoped for, as the two combined to catch just 84 passes for 903 yards and just six scores.

The catches and yardage was decent, but two 6'5", 250+ pound guys should be nightmares in the red zone for opposing defenses and score more than six times.

Eifert in particular was disappointing, or the way he was used was at least. Viewed as a guy who could play TE and wide receiver in certain sets, Eifert registered only 681 snaps in 16 games, while Gresham got 901 in 16 games.

Per Geoff Hobson, the coaches thought Eifert should have gotten more opportunities to showcase himself last year, and he'll get those chances more in 2014.

The coaches were far from pleased with Gresham last year and there was a sense that Eifert didn't get the chances everyone thought he was going to get as a rookie. Particularly deep. In the afterglow when he dropped to them in the first round, the thinking was they had just caught a guy that was going to catch 50-60 balls and he ended up with 39.

I think he gets more this year and he scores more than two TDs. Methinks Jackson is going to wear him out deep down the middle of the field.

As for Gresham, entering the final year of his rookie contract, he's not going to get phased out of this offense to make way for the younger Eifert. No, the Bengals plan to use he and Eifert in more 2-TE sets and give both of them opportunities to make an impact.

But I don't think it is at the expense of Gresham. No question Gresham fell off last year. But Marvin Lewis thinks he can tame his raging inconsistencies. And he's extremely important in the suddenly important running game because he's regarded as an underrated and effective blocker.

From all indications, Jackson is committed to two tight end sets, so I don't see Gresham disappearing. What is interesting is that both Gresham (unknown) and Eifert (shoulder) missed the spring with injuries and we barely saw two tight ends.

Some of Gresham's tweets make me wonder if he is about to kill himself.

Like this one, a few days ago, for instance. I didn't see anything to motivate him to tweet it, he just did for some reason.

https://twitter.com/JGresham84/status/476430582746845184

God, that might be a stretch but I sure hope not...that would be awful. I'm sure it's just him expressing frustration with something going on in OTA's or something.

God, that might be a stretch but I sure hope not...that would be awful. I'm sure it's just him expressing frustration with something going on in OTA's or something.

it was from the first day of mandatories last week.  He was frustrated about not being able to practice.

Like this one, a few days ago, for instance. I didn't see anything to motivate him to tweet it, he just did for some reason.

If Gresham kills himself does his salary still count against the cap?

Seems like little more than speculation but here's to hoping there's some truth behind it. My biggest problem with Gruden's offense was the lack of shots taken up the middle of the field to the TE.

It's so much easier to guard a big TE if he's stops and is standing still.  Every route it seems was a curl route, or they were running parallel to the LOS.  

who do you think would win out the #1 TE spot if all things were even and the incumbent did not have preference to start?  Gresh or Eifert?

I think Eifert would be the more dependable one.

It's so much easier to guard a big TE if he's stops and is standing still.  Every route it seems was a curl route, or they were running parallel to the LOS.  

who do you think would win out the #1 TE spot if all things were even and the incumbent did not have preference to start?  Gresh or Eifert?

I think Eifert would be the more dependable one.

I don't see a huge difference in their abilities (which are high) but I do see a huge difference in their near future cost.  Eifert would win on that alone.  

I do agree we need to get both the ball GOING downfield.  Say what you want about Gresh, when he catches the ball going north and south he can't be a lot of fun to tackle.

Actually, CincyJungle just lifted the info from one of Hobson's mailbag pieces, which is posted somewhere else around here.  Point is, it's coming from a Team Source, and if Hobson is saying it you can be sure it's more than his conjecture.

I really don't think Gruden knows how to use tight ends.. I could be wrong, but I don't think they are really used in Arena league.. I have no idea what the Florida Tuskers looked like on offense so I could be really off base.. But it just didn't seem like we used ours affectively at all while he was here.

I really don't think Gruden knows how to use tight ends.. I could be wrong, but I don't think they are really used in Arena league.. I have no idea what the Florida Tuskers looked like on offense so I could be really off base.. But it just didn't seem like we used ours affectively at all while he was here.

It was just hard for me to believe when you're inside the 15 yard line, you don' think about putting AJ on the right, Gresh in the slot, and on the other side Tyler Eifert, and have your choice of jump balls. You hardly ever saw Eifert on the outside.

Arena league doesn't even have a tight end per se from what I understand. Prior to the snap, any 1 offensive lineman can raise his hand to be the eligible tight end.

Any one offensive lineman raise their hand to become the eligible TE...seriously? I've never watched an arena league game before. If this is one of their rules, I think I understand why now.

Any one offensive lineman raise their hand to become the eligible TE...seriously? I've never watched an arena league game before. If this is one of their rules, I think I understand why now.

Yes. I've never watched a game either, but I was reading some rules. That's one of them that I saw.

Yes. I've never watched a game either, but I was reading some rules. That's one of them that I saw.

Arena league is 8-on-8, so a typical offensive formation is 3 O-line, 3 receivers, 1 QB, and 1 RB. The defense is constrained to 3 DL, 2 LB, and 3 DB, with only one of the LBs allowed to drop into deep coverage or blitz. One of the offensive guards puts up his hand to denote that he's an eligible receiver (hence the TE) but I think I've only seen an O-linemen thrown to once in the dozen Arena league games I've watched.

It was just hard for me to believe when you're inside the 15 yard line, you don' think about putting AJ on the right, Gresh in the slot, and on the other side Tyler Eifert, and have your choice of jump balls. You hardly ever saw Eifert on the outside.

We saw that scenario a few times but it usually went to AJ.

How much longer can I do this

I'm just going to assume he was at a hot dog eating contest.

TIGHT END

Snaps Pct.

Jermaine Gresham 78 96%

Tyler Eifert 3 4%

Alex Smith DNP  

Orson Charles 7 9%

I think the above quote says it all.  We don't get enough involvement from the TEs.  Maybe Gresham but the others should be throwing in a contribution also.

I think the above quote says it all.  We don't get enough involvement from the TEs.  Maybe Gresham but the others should be throwing in a contribution also.

well, that's from the playoff game.  Smith was on IR by then and Eifert was injured, playing with a bad shoulder.

Eifert played somewhere in the range of 62.3% of the offensive snaps last season.  Gresham 82.4%.

Archived