!!!THE OFFICIAL BYE WEEK GAME THREAD!!!

Random thought looking back on Stealers game, Antonio Brown gets away with more offensive pass interference than anyone I've ever seen along with Steve Smith Sr.  I'll be watching for us to get hosed in the department at least a couple times this upcoming Sunday.

True. Also watch for the tradiional block in the back on Antonio Brown punt returns that never get called in our games.

Are they showing matches from the Championship over here now?

NBC Sports.  Covers almost all of them in some fashion (Extra time on Time Warner, but I think you have to pay for that).   The games also hit NBC on Sunday Morning (good warm up for the real football).  Seen them on USA too.   This all assuming you are talking Premier League. 

Champions League and others typically hit Fox sports or more often Fox Soccer Plus. 

I can't work out if you're an Arsenal fan getting salty or genuinely think I'm in the US.

I'm a bandwagon Arsenal fan.

I worked on a Navy program that included a liaison officer from the Royal Navy who had moved his family to Maryland for a 3 year deployment to support us.  He used to invite us over to his place on Saturdays to drink his imported beer and watch EPL matches - which was a big deal back then because relatively few matches would be shown over here.  He had some sort of ex-patriate satellite hookup thing that gave him the EPL equivalent of NFL Sunday Ticket - and more often than not we'd be watching a Villa match because that was his home town.

I really REALLY wanted to have a rooting interest in the EPL.  Soccer is/was the world's #1 sport, and the EPL is/was arguably the top league worldwide.  To have a rooting interest meant I had to pick one of the 20 teams to follow.  I didn't want a team that was winning all the time, but I didn't want a team that was always so far out of the running that they (a) had no shot, ever, and (b) would get no share of the Very Little press coverage the EPL got here in the States.  I wanted a team that was /near/ the top, but wasn't /at/ the top.

It ended up being Arsenal.

Three years later they went undefeated, and I rooted them through to the 2008 Champions League final against Barcelona.  (Which, as LT would tell you, has a special place in my heart as well).  You remember that game - Arsenal's keeper (Lehmann?) got a straight red card barely 15 minutes in.  But even down a man they managed to score before halftime and tried to hold off Barcelona in the 2nd half.  Valiant effort, but ultimately doomed, as Barca scored twice late to win.

So yeah, I'm a hand-picked bandwagoning Gunner fan.  Never seen them play in person, just as bad as most NFL Steeler fans.  But nonetheless, they're the team I've picked and the team I've stuck with, and I know enough about them to pick on Spurs whenever given the opportunity.  :)

Peace, bro! 

Arsenal though? I mean, you know there are other teams right. Why on earth would anyone choose to be a gooner. It's like deciding to come from Cleveland.

Amish man, you're lucky your lady makes such awesome food...

(Gentle banter btw, everyone has a cross to bear, yours just happens to be a cross you picked from a line-up)

Archived