Bengals keeping Nugent

14 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Meanwhile in the NHL the Florida Panthers fired their head coach immediately after they lost to the Carolina Hurricanes tonight.  The Gerard Gallant had to get a cab to the airport.  Cold.

Fired Coach in Cab.jpg

I'd fire someone too if they didn't have an Uber account in 2016

This decision to keep Nugent shows this organization and coaching don't care about winning. How can they justifying keeping this guy around when he is clearly not performing at an acceptable level, they have no credibility with the players on this team. If they continue to trot this guy out there after he keeps under performing what message does that send to the rest of the team? 

When you combine the lack of discipline with the refusal to move on from under performing players like Ced, Bodine, and Nugent then you see why this team is one of the worst in the NFL and this organization hasn't won a playoff game since 1990. It's pathetic and needs to change if they want to be able to compete with the top tier franchises in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

This decision to keep Nugent shows this organization and coaching don't care about winning. How can they justifying keeping this guy around when he is clearly not performing at an acceptable level, they have no credibility with the players on this team. If they continue to trot this guy out there after he keeps under performing what message does that send to the rest of the team? 

When you combine the lack of discipline with the refusal to move on from under performing players like Ced, Bodine, and Nugent then you see why this team is one of the worst in the NFL and this organization hasn't won a playoff game since 1990. It's pathetic and needs to change if they want to be able to compete with the top tier franchises in the NFL. 

^^^ this so much^^^

Its down to Mike Brown puts more into his "loyal to a fault" philosophy for players and coaches than he does to any sort of loyalty to the fans.  He appears to put friendship bonds above building a consistently winning professional football team.  Unfortunately, the players see this too and that causes a "don't give a fuck" attitude.  I'm going to get paid no matter what, no matter how many plays I take off or how incompetent I am.

Game highlight was Rex Burkhead.  He was about the only guy out there who looked like he wanted to play football.

P.S.  Jerkpatrick should be fined and fined heavily every time he embarrasses himself and the team and fan base with a moronic victory celebration.

9 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000747816/article/titans-cut-perrish-cox-promote-kalan-reed

Perrish Cox ALMOST cost his team the win yesterday against the Bears. Tennessee cut him after the game.

The Bengals have scheduled him for a try out Tuesday to replace Dupe Jerkpatrick who collapsed a lung pounding his chest in celebration  after defending a pass that was thrown ten yards out of bounds.

The Bengals have scheduled him for a try out Tuesday to replace Dupe Jerkpatrick who collapsed a lung pounding his chest in celebration  after defending a pass that was thrown ten yards out of bounds.

I watched Dre purposely shy away from a head on tackle yesterday, forcing another teammate to over extend and make an awkward off balance tackle. His teammate got hurt on the play. This no heart first round bust needs to be called out by his team for that lame shit. Give this douche his walking papers. He's worthless on the open market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/25139/bengals-dont-change-stance-on-mike-nugent-after-fourth-missed-pat

Bengals don't change stance on Mike Nugent after fourth missed PAT

Katherine Terrell
ESPN Staff Writer

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said the team doesn't plan to bring in kickers despite the continued struggles of Mike Nugent.

Lewis decided to stick with Nugent last week after he missed two consecutive PATs against the Bills, and that stance did not change this week after Nugent missed a third straight PAT attempt.

"Missed PAT, those are things that affect the football team and affect us and our opportunities. But we are where we are," Lewis said when asked whether he was still sticking with Nugent.

When asked specifically if they would bring in kickers again to try out, Lewis said they were not.

The Bengals brought in a group of kickers during their bye week after Nugent missed a PAT and a 51-yard field goal against the Redskins in London. One of those kickers was Zach Hocker, who competed against Nugent in training camp. The Bengals opted not to sign anyone at that time and did not bring any kickers in last week either.

Oddly enough, Nugent is 4-for-4 since the Washington game in field goal attempts, but is 0-3 in PAT attempts in that same span. He has made 19-of-23 PAT attempts this season and 18-of-23 field goals.

"Kicking is a very important part of this game and you're not going to win games if the kicker is not making the ones they're supposed to make and I'm just not doing that right now," Nugent said on Sunday.

It appears that the Bengals are sticking with Nugent for the rest of the season. Lewis said last week that he preferred to work through Nugent's struggles rather than try to bring in an unknown kicker.

“It’s easy for everybody to say to make that change," Lewis said last week. "But ... when that change doesn’t work out, what do you do? I’m way more comfortable with helping Mike get corrected and through this and him having the confidence that we expect from him and that we really have in him."

The Vikings were in a similar situation with longtime kicker Blair Walsh, who was cut after nine games this season. He missed four field goals and four PATs this year.

The Vikings opted to sign Kai Forbath instead, who was one of the kickers brought in for a workout in Cincinnati.

Nugent, Walsh and Seahawks kicker Steven Hauschka are the only kickers with four missed PATs.

3 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

“It’s easy for everybody to say to make that change," Lewis said last week. "But ... when that change doesn’t work out, what do you do?

Then you try something else until you get it right.  I don't want to become the Browns but you give that new coach the authority to do what needs done and stick with them a couple of years until they get their system in place.  There are only 32 jobs available so the competition is fierce.  You take advantage of that until you find one that sticks.

Oh I'm sorry were you still talking about the kicker?

Mediocre Marvin folks.... you can't make this stuff up. So basically there is nothing Nugent can do to lose his job and there is no accountability from the coaching staff.

This is how you go 0-7 in the playoffs. I can't support this team until they change the culture, which ironically Marvin was hired to do. He took this franchise from horrible to mediocre, it's time for someone else to come in and get them over the hump. I prefer Coughlin or Gruden, but anyone but Mediocre Marvin will do at this point.

Nugent won't be replaced until off season.  That's a given.  Who is better out there?  Field goals are a three man show: snapper, holder (catching it may be a bit of a challenge, too... ref the one field goal Nuge did make was snapped up by Huber's ear) and the kicker.  We are already down 1/3 of that team.

Therefore the coaching strategy (that's an oxymoron in Marvspeak) has to change.  No more field goal attempts outside the 25 yard line.  We've seen that he has difficulty (understatement) with extra points from the 15.  If he blows... a field goal from the 25, the ball still comes out to the point of the kick which would be the same as a touchback.  I think it would be much wiser to have Huber try to pin them back as far as possible rather than taking possession of the ball from the spot of the attempt beyond the 25.  

Hypothetically, its the difference between the other team taking possession at the 35 after a blown field goal or being pinned inside the five with a good punt.  Someone once said football is a game of field position and why risk giving up all those yards with a shaky Nuggie.

2 hours ago, RhodeIslandFan said:

It's like Big Ben has said. Bengals are not their rivalry( though the press thinks so). He said the Ravens are, because they have a quarterback and we don'temoji41.png

Have a link on that supposed statement? 

1 hour ago, turningpoint said:

That's complete BS.

Anyways, it would not surprise me if Nugent is perfect for the rest of the season.

I actually thought that last week...but Nuge obviously proved me wrong.  :)

6 hours ago, RhodeIslandFan said:

It's like Big Ben has said. Bengals are not their rivalry( though the press thinks so). He said the Ravens are, because they have a quarterback and we don'temoji41.png

Seriously?  Flacco?  Child Please!

Wait, does your ever present sunglasses icon mean sarcasm?  That would explain a lot actually.

28 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

I actually thought that last week...but Nuge obviously proved me wrong.  :)

Seriously?  Flacco?  Child Please!

Wait, does your ever present sunglasses icon mean sarcasm?  That would explain a lot actually.

He might be blind.

That's complete BS.

Anyways, it would not surprise me if Nugent is perfect for the rest of the season.

I say bs too...

But the second half of your statement would surprise me...

Wait a minute..no it wouldnt... If he was perfect, then we could hear ole Marv say how nuge didn't lose us any game in the last six....so he's good to go for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

16 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

I say bs too...

But the second half of your statement would surprise me...

Wait a minute..no it wouldnt... If he was perfect, then we could hear ole Marv say how nuge didn't lose us any game in the last six....so he's good to go for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

I'd take Nugent back next year.

I think he will figure out his issues and be fine.

Archived