Jump to content

Recommended Posts

 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Have the Bengals ever signed a guy long term after tagging him? 

Umm... I mean this article was from 2016... but here's hoping things really are different now.

 

Quote

This is why we've only seen the Bengals utilize the tag six times since 2005, and two of those times were on kickers for a manageable cost. That means Cincinnati has used the tag just four times on position players, including running back Rudi Johnson (2005), defensive end Justin Smith (2007), offensive guard Stacy Andrews (2008) and defensive end Michael Johnson (2013).

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Have the Bengals ever signed a guy long term after tagging him? 

Someone please refresh my memory but didn't they try that once with, I think, Carl Pickins

and ended up losing a draft pick as punishment?

Someone?  Bueller?

Or have the rules changed?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Someone please refresh my memory but didn't they try that once with, I think, Carl Pickins

and ended up losing a draft pick as punishment?

Someone?  Bueller?

Or have the rules changed?

I was thinking the same thing. Didn't they get their wrist slapped by the NFL for the way they did it?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Someone please refresh my memory but didn't they try that once with, I think, Carl Pickins

and ended up losing a draft pick as punishment?

Someone?  Bueller?

Or have the rules changed?

 

Tagging him now gives them until July to get a long term deal done this year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Have the Bengals ever signed a guy long term after tagging him? 


I’m pretty sure only Rudi Johnson. Maybe Nugent but I don’t remember if it was in the same year or afterwards for him.

 

I’d like to see them get something done with Bates long term as long as he’s not expecting something ungodly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

 

Tagging him now gives them until July to get a long term deal done this year. 

 

Bates wanted a deal before the season and for sure wanted one now.  He said he did not want to be tagged.  I am not sure what the holdup is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:


I’m pretty sure only Rudi Johnson. Maybe Nugent but I don’t remember if it was in the same year or afterwards for him.

 

I’d like to see them get something done with Bates long term as long as he’s not expecting something ungodly.

Agree ..Maybe he wants Top pay ..no no

Tag Stacy Andrews??.

Never thought he was anyway good..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, spicoli said:


Holy shit that guy is super f**ked. 

I think the NFL will use Ripley as their newfound poster boy for gambling on your own team or the entire NFL..

 

Cincinnati went thru this with Rose and he's still their. face about the ramifications of it..

 

Ripley will never play in the nfl again imo..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the bengals havent really used the tag like this too often, the kicker things werent similar really, stacy andrews wasnt similar, kind of all like this guy had a good year or so but it wanting top money but the reality is theyll probably drop production wise, so overpaying would be problematic, not really used much for buying time for a legit long term deal. 

 

rudi did get one, his career was basically over by the end of it.

 

a bunch of decade old uses in random scenarios isnt much of a sign of anything they may do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

I think the NFL will use Ripley as their newfound poster boy for gambling on your own team or the entire NFL..

 

Cincinnati went thru this with Rose and he's still their. face about the ramifications of it..

 

Ripley will never play in the nfl again imo..

 

I think you are right seeing there has never been a player named Ripley in the NFL. 
 

If you are talking about Calvin Ridley I am sure someone will offer him an incentive laden deal if he can pass a physical in 2024.  
 

As far as Bates goes, my guess is they don’t want to sign him to a long term deal for a lot of money.  It is probably as simple as that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

the bengals havent really used the tag like this too often, the kicker things werent similar really, stacy andrews wasnt similar, kind of all like this guy had a good year or so but it wanting top money but the reality is theyll probably drop production wise, so overpaying would be problematic, not really used much for buying time for a legit long term deal. 

 

rudi did get one, his career was basically over by the end of it.

 

a bunch of decade old uses in random scenarios isnt much of a sign of anything they may do. 

Possiblyfor more time to sign a top FA in regards to cap space this season..

Due diligence on this seems in their favor..

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I think you are right seeing there has never been a player named Ripley in the NFL. 
 

If you are talking about Calvin Ridley I am sure someone will offer him an incentive laden deal if he can pass a physical in 2024.  
 

As far as Bates goes, my guess is they don’t want to sign him to a long term deal for a lot of money.  It is probably as simple as that. 

In all due respect SF...

nothing is ever simple in the NFL..

 

The. NFLPA will make it a priority on no lifetime ban on him.

 

That'll be a pay per view matchup.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, westside bengal said:

 

Bates wanted a deal before the season and for sure wanted one now.  He said he did not want to be tagged.  I am not sure what the holdup is.

I believe Bates wanted to be the highest paid safety in the league and that would mean about $20m per year . 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I believe Bates wanted to be the highest paid safety in the league and that would mean about $20m per year . 

He may get close to it somewhere.

He wont here..

 

Id like to keep Bates but I want to see deals done with the rushers up front.

Speaking of Hill and Ogunjobi..

 

Pressuring the QB from the interior is paramount to the signing of a FS ....

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bates needs to realize that the Bengals have all the leverage. They can tag him for the next 3 years even and it will still likely be cheaper than the guaranteed money he wants. If he wants 14 per year I am sure they will play ball. If he wants 20 per year, he will get tagged 1 to 2 times and then be traded before the third tag. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...