Bengals @ Tommy Bay Watch - Game Day Thread

Agree with division winners with losing records forfeiting a playoff berth to an extra WC team in theory but then it would have to be from the same conference & what if that team is like 9-8 vs a 11-6 team from the opposite conference. A freebie for a slightly less mediocre team isn't a huge improvement 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Agree with division winners with losing records forfeiting a playoff berth to an extra WC team in theory but then it would have to be from the same conference & what if that team is like 9-8 vs a 11-6 team from the opposite conference. A freebie for a slightly less mediocre team isn't a huge improvement 

The “lousy conference winner” thing has still an element of entertainment. Doesn’t happen often, but instances of the worst winning it all have taken place—mostly in the NBA. 

56 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

The “lousy conference winner” thing has still an element of entertainment. Doesn’t happen often, but instances of the worst winning it all have taken place—mostly in the NBA. 

Yeah the NBA regular season is halfway exhibition tier with over half the field guaranteed a playoff berth.

Back in the NFL though imagine Tampa still making it at 7-10 with the Bengals missing out at 11-6. (Unlikely at this point but possible.)

Riots would follow.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah the NBA regular season is halfway exhibition tier with over half the field guaranteed a playoff berth.

Back in the NFL though imagine Tampa still making it at 7-10 with the Bengals missing out at 11-6. (Unlikely at this point but possible.)

Riots would follow.

I’ll take it a more recent step further: 

ATL and NYM battle to the last week of the season for top spot in the NL East. ATL wins but both teams combine for 202 wins. Braves win division and get a bye. NYM have to settle for top Wild Card, but get to host all 3 WC games at home. 

3rd-place PHL squeak in to the newly created 7th spot for the WC— with a normally mediocre 87 wins ( prior years would have been eliminated). SD also squeaks in with an almost as bad 89 wins. 

After winning an opening round 3-on-the-road win at division-winning St Louis, PHL advances to face the 101-win ATL. Meanwhile, the Padres eliminate the 101-win Mets. 

PHL then wins series against 101- win ATL, while SD eliminates the 111-win LAD. 

PHL then wins against SD to advance to the World Series. 

The 3 of the top-4 teams in MLB all gone without any of them advancing one round. 

No riots. Just one helluva lot of fun. It’s what it’s all about. 

11 hours ago, saphead said:

I use the gameday thread as an outlet for my extremely violent range of emotions. It's cathartic.

From now on I'll be rah-rah and clap along like Marvin L. 

Don’t rah rah or clap too much or you won’t be giving the narrator any material to go off of.  Throw him an angry bone every now and then and all should be good. 

22 hours ago, GoBengals said:

are they.... better together, brought to you by 5/3 bank?  *bengals youtube channel reference*

ah, what year are you in? might be that yahoo has been pointless for 10-12 years... you could try a site that doesnt requite internet explorer.

joking aside, the nfl website might be the worst, havent used yahoo in forever, espn mobile site when im out and about seems to do best.. nfl app also worthless..

Didn’t know that reference so I would say, yes? Yahoo is much better than what you would think.  I use them for my FFB league that I am in and I would say I have been with this league for about 12 years now or more.  Their NFL day game coverage is pretty good.  BTW, I hate IE as they are a virus haven Browser.  I used to use Firefox for the longest of times but, have been using Microsoft Edge as they bumped out IE for a few years now.  So you could say I have graduated and I hope you approve.  An arrow up will be much appreciated. 

8 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

Didn’t know that reference so I would say, yes? Yahoo is much better than what you would think.  I use them for my FFB league that I am in and I would say I have been with this league for about 12 years now or more.  Their NFL day game coverage is pretty good.  BTW, I hate IE as they are a virus haven Browser.  I used to use Firefox for the longest of times but, have been using Microsoft Edge as they bumped out IE for a few years now.  So you could say I have graduated and I hope you approve.  An arrow up will be much appreciated. 

I'm a Microsoft Employee, thank you for using Edge. (half- :ninja: ))

(I use all 3 and have Chrome installed on my work laptop, but Edge is my primary)

19 hours ago, T-Dub said:

i do agree its a bad practice, BUT once you start that the divisions would be useless, so you have to keep allowing the division winners in ,,, 

BUT , i could see , and agree with . division winners with losing records forfeiting their automatic home game. 

34 minutes ago, stryker57 said:

i do agree its a bad practice, BUT once you start that the divisions would be useless, so you have to keep allowing the division winners in ,,, 

BUT , i could see , and agree with . division winners with losing records forfeiting their automatic home game. 

I had a nightmare last night that this year's Super Bowl would be

the Cincinnati Joes vs the New Orleans Andys.

13 hours ago, DanvilleBengal said:

Get used to it...considering we are now one of the stalwart teams, especially when the playoffs arrive, we will be getting Jim and Tony as our commentators when we play.

No more Aqib Talib types for us!

On 12/19/2022 at 6:44 PM, Le Tigre said:

I can’t remember a last place seed doing squat in the NBA playoffs recently.  What am I missing?

14 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I can’t remember a last place seed doing squat in the NBA playoffs recently.  What am I missing?

Before the NBA started with seeding, the Washington Bullets won (late ‘70’s) a title. They were the last team in. 

Seattle won in the mid-‘80’s as a 7 seed. Houston won in the mid-‘90’s as a 6 seed. 

These are off the top of my head 

Nothing recently, other than maybe the Nets a few seasons ago. I remember they were low-seeded 

Archived