Keeping our enemies close: 2023

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Tennessee got screwed by not having any oil ... But are there Bears in Chicago though? 

IMG_20230724_161442.jpg

IMG_20230724_161450.jpg

Jed Clampettt disagrees.

Chiefs shouldn't give Jones a new deal with 30 per, but they probably will give him a raise. It would be smarter for them to make him play on his current 20 mil deal, then tag him once or twice. If they were going to give someone a free 5 or 10 mil raise, Mahomes and Kelce should be ahead of Jones on the list. 

7 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I hope the Chiefs move on, he was the reason more than any other that we lost that AFCC last year.

Jones was dominant against mostly backups.  Not the same story in the regular season before the injuries.  Still, he’s probably the next best interior pass rusher after Aaron Donald and should approach Donald’s contract value, IMO.  Tough decision for the Chiefs because they don’t want to lose him but the cost will be very high.  I think a trade could happen just like with Tyreek Hill.  

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Jones was dominant against mostly backups.  Not the same story in the regular season before the injuries.  Still, he’s probably the next best interior pass rusher after Aaron Donald and should approach Donald’s contract value, IMO.  Tough decision for the Chiefs because they don’t want to lose him but the cost will be very high.  I think a trade could happen just like with Tyreek Hill.  

Oh for sure Cappa shut him down, that said he is still a guy I'd be happy not being on their team.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

I think Tennessee Moonshiners would have been a badass name personally. 

I remember when they awarded Jacksonville and Carolina the expansion teams - TN was in the running and they wanted to call the team the Memphis Hound Dogs - how awful.

Multiple origin theories of the nickname:

"In a segment with WGFX-FM 104.5 (The Zone) in Nashville on Tuesday, long-time Houston Chronicle reporter John McClain noted that original plans included a different nickname for the team and a different layout for the stadium on the east bank of the Cumberland River."

“The Titans were going to be the ‘Pioneers,’” McClain, who closely covered the franchise’s transition from Houston, said. “Then it got out. I think somebody in Memphis found out about it. So, [franchise founder] Bud Adams changed everything and went to Titans.”

---------------

"The Oilers played one season in Memphis and one in Nashville at Vanderbilt University’s football stadium before their home stadium was completed prior to the 1999 season. The team was then rechristened the Tennessee Titans, a name derived from Nashville’s sobriquet of “the Athens of the South.”

It does have its own Parthenon

The Athens Of The South: A Brief History Of The Nashville Parthenon

• Upvote 1