WEEK 10: vs TEXANS (GameDey thread)

1 hour ago, Griever said:

Welp...it was the proverbial "trap game", and they fell in. Horse shit performance, this leaves almost zero margin for error the rest of the way 

This was not a trap game. Texans were hot and the Bengals could not afford to take any week off because of their poor start to the season. We simply got outcoached and outplayed. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Mikeslumina said:

We had chance to steal it chase looked less than 50 percent . Yoshi running wrong routes burrow trying to rely on sample to make plays. 
texans look pretty good against us. Stroud reminded me of Big Ben . Can cover a te?

tough loss gonna miss tre

A c look on the bright side as bad as we played we almost won and should have

• Upvote 1

Just got back home.  Y'all saw the same game I did so I won't bother with any analysis. Let's just say that Houston tried really really hard at the end to lose this game and we refused to let them.

Two observations:

(1) Bob Trumpy was Ruler today.  I haven't seen him in a decade and would never have guessed how far he has physically declined.  He need to be prioritized for ROH enshrinement while he's still with us - we cannot allow what Canton did to Ken Riley to happen in Cincy to Trumpy.

(2) Nobody took me up on my spare ticket, so I ended up taking Manti Te'o's girlfriend.

20231112_123139.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Just read Zac's presser. Bunch of cliches. I thought they (Houston) did a good job of this, I thought they did a good job of that, blah blah blah. A string of miracles put us in position to steal that absolute shit show we performed today, and we blew that too.  On what planet do you get a first and goal at the 7, down by 3 points with under 2 minutes to play, and not run the ball????

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, A Rock said:

Just read Zac's presser. Bunch of cliches. I thought they (Houston) did a good job of this, I thought they did a good job of that, blah blah blah. A string of miracles put us in position to steal that absolute shit show we performed today, and we blew that too.  On what planet do you get a first and goal at the 7, down by 3 points with under 2 minutes to play, and not run the ball????

Taylor is really good at being the head coach of a team with Joe Burrow at QB. If Burrow isn't on the field or anything less than 99% healthy he's just the guy answering questions at the press conferences.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Taylor is really good at being the head coach of a team with Joe Burrow at QB. If Burrow isn't on the field or anything less than 99% healthy he's just the guy answering questions at the press conferences.

I have always wondered what the actual benefit of press conferences in sports are. Other than the occasional Dennis Green or Jim Mora entertainment episodes, the vast majority contain nothing of value. 

The same questions…the same answers. One could open a film vault from 30 years ago, and the same “information” will be sought/achieved: blah blah. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I mean that's the majority of head coaches. Most are not successful without a good QB.

• Upvote 2

Fourth quarter was a comedy of errors for both teams.  Hurts to watch Boyd drop that ball, but plenty of other mistakes cost them.  Bad interceptions and poor tackling for starters.  Bengals came in flat and got what they deserved. 

It's going to be hard for them to make the playoffs at this point.  Little room for error.  Lose next weekend and they can probably kiss the season goodbye.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I have always wondered what the actual benefit of press conferences in sports are. Other than the occasional Dennis Green or Jim Mora entertainment episodes, the vast majority contain nothing of value. 

The same questions…the same answers. One could open a film vault from 30 years ago, and the same “information” will be sought/achieved: blah blah. 

Teams and players have all learned (been taught really) that they have a certian amount of availability that is required, but they are not required to provide any usefull insights. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

That's true but it seems like JB has to play like Superman every week for them to win. 

Seems like some structural issues that have been here for years that Marvin never got fixed or even the needle moved.

There has to be something structural to the fact that we always seem to lose to Rookie QBs (granted Stroud is pretty much the best rookie QB we have ever faced).

There has to be something structural to the fact that other than when flowers was here, we can not seem to cover tight ends.

I already made a thread about why Oline play is down across the league, but those other two seem to always bite us in the ass.

We are also in deep trouble next year if Higgins and Boyd are gone. (Even if Boyd's drop hurt us, JB was right to say we would not have been down there had he not got that other ball.) The rest of the O simply does not step up. Irwin had his TD but did little else in the game.  We have to expect that without a legitimate 2nd threat in the O that Chase is going to be doubled and tripled on every play. I think Jamar is better than Diggs, but we might be looking at what the Buffalo O is struggling with. Until recently Diggs was their only legitimate threat outside of Allen running the ball. Now Kincaid is starting to come along so they might get a 2nd threat that is consistent soon.  With Higgins out, we don't have that 2nd threat, other than Boyd who has been less than consistent this year. I can not imagine what next year is going to look like. Especially when we have to start making hard choices about who we can afford to keep and who we can't. This team has always been good about drafting when we are at the top of the draft. Now that we are at the bottom we even more so can not afford to miss on picks. I'm giving Murphy a pass for now since he is a rookie, but he's not lived up to expectations so far, and my expectations were for him to at least contribute. Turner has been good, but now that teams see him more on the field they are testing him, and he isn't passing. This is why having a larger scouting department to help find talent at the bottom of the rounds is how good teams stay good. We have refused to do that and it's beginning to show the cracks in the wall. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

We are also in deep trouble next year if Higgins and Boyd are gone.

Aren't you the guy who keeps saying we should trade Higgins for a first and draft his replacement?  I mean, correct me if I'm wrong.  I disagree with that in no small part because a draft pick is a complete unknown, but when do they even have a window for that?  

Irwin had his TD but did little else in the game. 

He made the catch with three guys around him and Joe throwing back into traffic that kept the one drive going in the 4th.  He blocked his ASS OFF all day long, I was surprised more people haven't said anything about it, I guess most wouldn't pay attention.

Turner has been good, but now that teams see him more on the field they are testing him, and he isn't passing.

Turner saved the game and gave Joe a chance to win it in the final drive.  He has been spectacular in coverage for a second round rookie, the only other people I've heard echoing what you're saying above are announcers who, when seeing Turner either allowing a catch or making a nice defensive play, have begun always making the claim that "teams keep testing him".  If that is the case he's passing with flying colours, and he will always get passed on like everyone else.  Chido got burned the most yesterday, and FWIW Turner's PI call was nonsense - it could have arguably been called offensive PI (which is what I thought it would be when they threw it).

We are seeing typical ill preparation that has plagued the Taylor era and granted was also a prominent attribute of the Marvin era.  Most teams have some issues with players they haven't faced or prepped for before (e.g. rookie QBs, the Mike Whites of the world) but the best coaches adapt on the fly, and we don't have much of that.  Lou has been pretty good with it but his zone schemes have openings just like all do.  The Bengals issue often is lack of pressure which allows those openings to be exploited.  Their OTs yesterday owned our rushers and their interior guys just held all day and our interior guys are too slow to recover.  

Both of our lines need improvement, that's where we'll be able to maintain effectiveness.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HavePityPlease said:

Aren't you the guy who keeps saying we should trade Higgins for a first and draft his replacement?  I mean, correct me if I'm wrong.  I disagree with that in no small part because a draft pick is a complete unknown, but when do they even have a window for that?  

He made the catch with three guys around him and Joe throwing back into traffic that kept the one drive going in the 4th.  He blocked his ASS OFF all day long, I was surprised more people haven't said anything about it, I guess most wouldn't pay attention.

Turner saved the game and gave Joe a chance to win it in the final drive.  He has been spectacular in coverage for a second round rookie, the only other people I've heard echoing what you're saying above are announcers who, when seeing Turner either allowing a catch or making a nice defensive play, have begun always making the claim that "teams keep testing him".  If that is the case he's passing with flying colours, and he will always get passed on like everyone else.  Chido got burned the most yesterday, and FWIW Turner's PI call was nonsense - it could have arguably been called offensive PI (which is what I thought it would be when they threw it).

We are seeing typical ill preparation that has plagued the Taylor era and granted was also a prominent attribute of the Marvin era.  Most teams have some issues with players they haven't faced or prepped for before (e.g. rookie QBs, the Mike Whites of the world) but the best coaches adapt on the fly, and we don't have much of that.  Lou has been pretty good with it but his zone schemes have openings just like all do.  The Bengals issue often is lack of pressure which allows those openings to be exploited.  Their OTs yesterday owned our rushers and their interior guys just held all day and our interior guys are too slow to recover.  

Both of our lines need improvement, that's where we'll be able to maintain effectiveness.

I don't think we can keep Tee long term, my point in saying we should trade him and daft his replacement is because of that. We have to find a viable replacement to be sure, but we are not going to invest that much money into one position group and Jamar is going to get his bag. We have to find a 2nd option. 

Oh for sure Irwin had some key blocks, and I love the guy for the fact he wasn't drafted and does anything at all on the team, but he's not enough of a threat to take double teams off Jamar.

Turner has also been getting beat alot more than he had been earlier on. Maybe my expectations are too high for a 2nd round rookie, but he has to get better too.

The troubling thing about that is both lines is where the majority of our money has been spent, and the return on the Dline has been good mostly, but the depth is concerning at this point, the return on the Oline not so much.

• Upvote 1

The official was closer than anyone, and he tossed his hat during the play.  Video evidence was inconclusive at best.  One foot was clearly in the end zone and with the other foot, the ball of his foot came down in the end zone and if the heel touched (couldn't tell from the video) then it would have come down out of bounds. 

1 hour ago, CincyInDC said:

The official was closer than anyone, and he tossed his hat during the play.  Video evidence was inconclusive at best.  One foot was clearly in the end zone and with the other foot, the ball of his foot came down in the end zone and if the heel touched (couldn't tell from the video) then it would have come down out of bounds. 

The question I have is, under what rule did the refs just "check it"?  It wasn't a change of possession, it wasn't a score, and I didn't see anybody throw a red flag/challenge.... ?

20 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

The question I have is, under what rule did the refs just "check it"?  It wasn't a change of possession, it wasn't a score, and I didn't see anybody throw a red flag/challenge.... ?

They were looking to see if the ball was tipped by one of the Bengal defensive linemen.

• Upvote 1