Justin Smith Retired

I was in a strip club in Windsor Canada watching the draft when the Bengals drafted him... So apparently I am old and gay...

Going to Canada doesn't make you gay. Unless it was a gay strip club then by all means carry on...

JS is another example of what this franchise used to be. Very good player, drafted Top 10, who was counted on to be the big difference-maker immediately. Then doesn't "meet expectations", leaves, and is still the very good player who becomes a more-than-solid pro.

We had a lot of these cycles in the Dark Days.

JS is another example of what this franchise used to be. Very good player, drafted Top 10, who was counted on to be the big difference-maker immediately. Then doesn't "meet expectations", leaves, and is still the very good player who becomes a more-than-solid pro.

We had a lot of these cycles in the Dark Days.

I was just thinking the other day how nice it is to not be dependent on rookies to be impact players right out of the gate! Despite the playoff disappointment, this franchise has been very good over the last few years. 

Some of my most heated debates used to be in defense of Justin smith when he was still a Bengal.  Too many people claimed he was a bust.  He would lead the league in tackles by a D-linemen and people would still hate on him falsely claiming that he made all of his tackles 5 yards down field.

Just compare his numbers from here and SF

Cin.....111 games.....466 tkls.....43.5 sacks.....21 Passes defended

S.F.....110 games.....414 tkls.....43.5 sacks.....  9 Passes defended

One of my favorite Bengals. I rooted so hard to draft him. Too bad he had to move on to have success.

Dude had success here, fans just never realized it. AND because the rest of our defense was so bad, he was always running down players from behind. Everyone complained that he would always tackle the ball carrier 4-5 yards from the LOS. People forget how bad our defenses were, who knows how much worse it could have been without J. Smith.

Some of my most heated debates used to be in defense of Justin smith when he was still a Bengal.  Too many people claimed he was a bust.  He would lead the league in tackles by a D-linemen and people would still hate on him falsely claiming that he made all of his tackles 5 yards down field.

Just compare his numbers from here and SF

Cin.....111 games.....466 tkls.....43.5 sacks.....21 Passes defended

S.F.....110 games.....414 tkls.....43.5 sacks.....  9 Passes defended

You have to consider scheme though.  43.5 sacks in 110 games as a 3-4 DE is more impressive than the same number from a 4-3 DE.

Justin was better than a lot of people here gave him credit for.  But I think he wanted more money than I would have been willing to pay when he left.

You have to consider scheme though.  43.5 sacks in 110 games as a 3-4 DE is more impressive than the same number from a 4-3 DE.

Justin was better than a lot of people here gave him credit for.  But I think he wanted more money than I would have been willing to pay when he left.

The thing is, the 3-4 DE is evolving. If you look around the league, a lot of 3-4 DE's are getting about 7-10 sacks a year, and that's NOT including a guy like JJ Watt, who would kill in a 4-3 scheme as well as his 3-4 scheme. Smith was one of my favorite players from that Chad Johnson era. I was disappointed that we let him go, but it is what it is. People were HATING on him man, I thought all the hate wasn't warranted. There were so many worse players on that defense, it's not even funny. They should have kept Justin Smith instead of giving Geathers that extension in 2006. We had Deltha O'neal, Landon Johnson, I don't even remember the safeties (Ethan Kilmer?), John thornton (who was pretty solid in his earlier Bengals career). J smith was the premiere player on that defense! People always think the grass is greener,  but then they realize how good they had it before...I'm talking about our fans here.

I remember a lot of guys in this forum saying that Justin wouldn't fit in a 3-4 defense, and questioned the 49ers' intelligence.

Nobody was saying that, everyone (especially me) was saying he wasn't a 4-3 DE and the Bengals were wasting his glory putting him in that system.  

I am right, as always.

I remember a lot of guys in this forum saying that Justin wouldn't fit in a 3-4 defense, and questioned the 49ers' intelligence.

I remember recapping every play Smith played over 4 straight games on the old Huddles board, prompting more than a few people to express surprise over how often he dropped into pass coverage with the Bengals.  

As I recall in three of the four games reviewed he averaged a dozen snaps away from the LOS per game.

Never questioned the fit in a 3-4.

One of my favorite Bengal players ever, but I shed no tears when he left.

Bridges were burned.

Bengals saved bags of money by replacing Smith with a player who is more fun to watch.

One of my favorite Bengals. I rooted so hard to draft him. Too bad he had to move on to have success.

another player on the long list of good players run out of town because the team around them sucked a bunch of dicks..LONG list of players.

Archived