Official Bengals Cuts - post updates as You see them

Some random thoughts ...

- Tupou and Tefele are basically the same player. Would have rather kept Davis. 

- I would have cut Carman to send a message on accountability if nothing else.

- Trayveon Williams would have been safe on the PS and is not needed to carry on the 53. 

- This team doesn't need 5 LBs, Bachie could be on the PS instead of Morgan - who is valuable for special teams. 

- It was too early to give up on Gunter. 

5 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Some random thoughts ...

- Trayveon Williams would have been safe on the PS and is not needed to carry on the 53. 

- This team doesn't need 5 LBs, Bachie could be on the PS instead of Morgan - who is valuable for special teams. 

I'm with you on Gunter someone is going to snag him 

12 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Some random thoughts ...

This team does not have an accountability issue. Carmen is here still simply because of potential and the lack of OL depth all over the league. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Carmen is here still simply because of potential and the lack of OL depth all over the league. 

Carman is probably still around because Mike Brown took a liking to the "hometown kid" and has a soft spot for him, sort of like how Zac does for Mixon (Oklahoma connection).

Which is fine, we're all human after all and these cuts are a combination of thinking with your head and your heart. But I don't feel the same way and think he can't be counted on at all. 

17 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

This team does not have an accountability issue. Carmen is here still simply because of potential and the lack of OL depth all over the league. 

Exactly, he's not a bum. He's a young player trying to get better, this whole Jackson Carman is the worst bullshit is media-driven drivel. Sure he can improve in certain areas of his game but too many people who have no clue what the hell they are talking about trash him because they are parroting the same bs talking points instead actually watching the games.

Jackson is probably the 6th or 7th best offensive lineman on the team, but that doesn't mean he should be cut. If anything it shows you how few quality offensive linemen are coming out of college nowadays. It's like some people just want to act like he's the only offensive lineman in the league who loses a rep, his bad plays get magnified and his good plays get downplayed. 

Brandon Allen made the 49ers roster so he's not available. I think we'll add another QB for the PS but probably not Siemian. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Ossai goes to IRR tomorrow but doubt Raymond Johnson and Gunter both make it through waivers. Dom Davis is likely to get claimed too.

Maybe we sign a former Brown like Felton or Hurst to get some inside info?

56 minutes ago, dex said:

Need a second blocking TE. Not the strongest unit in the league by any means, but Wilcox might be the best blocking/receiving combo TE on the roster. I thought they might keep 4 TEs and only 3 RBs, but they went the other way.

Wilcox is a guy they've been grooming for awhile and he's someone who did some positive things last year in games, both on offense and on STs. Hudson was impressive in the PS games as a receiver, for sure. We never get the full picture of course, since we aren't in meetings, or all the practices, etc. - but both guys were on the team last year, and Wilcox played ahead of Hudson, and he's bigger/better blocker and 2 years younger besides. I hope they're able to re-sign Hudson to the PS but I guess we'll know soon enough. 

One other thing - Zack said it's the best 53 he's had, and I don't doubt it. Maybe they'll pick up a guy or two off of waivers... for example, Sean McKeown (Dallas) is a sold TE - good blocker and ST'er. Maybe better than Wilcox - especially blocking. But anyway, if you grab a guy, he's gotta go on the 53 and get 4 game checks guaranteed. Not a layup, decision-wise. Could see guys like Morgan, Adeniji, or one or more of the DL getting picked up. 

And because Zack was non-committal in today's presser re: Ossai, he might be a candidate for IR-return, so maybe they try and bring back Gunter or Johnson for pass rush 53-man roster depth. 

Ossai goes to IR after whatever the date is that is not for the entire season.

Enter Gunther, Johnson III?

Whatever, some teams are going to get fat off our D line cuts.

Besides pantload Carman, I can't believe Trey Hill is still on this team.  Deadwood picking up a paycheck.

Cleveland lost two O Guards.  I can see Adeniji going there.

28 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Ossai goes to IR after whatever the date is that is not for the entire season.

Enter Gunther, Johnson III?

Whatever, some teams are going to get fat off our D line cuts.

Besides pantload Carman, I can't believe Trey Hill is still on this team.  Deadwood picking up a paycheck.

Cleveland lost two O Guards.  I can see Adeniji going there.

i believe they have to be on the 53 man roster then they can be IRRed tomorrow, 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Brandon Allen made the 49ers roster so he's not available. I think we'll add another QB for the PS but probably not Siemian. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Ossai goes to IRR tomorrow but doubt Raymond Johnson and Gunter both make it through waivers. Dom Davis is likely to get claimed too.

Maybe we sign a former Brown like Felton or Hurst to get some inside info?

Up here in New England folks are shocked that the Pats cut QB Bailey Zappe...not saying we should get him...just enjoying the Pats descent into mediocrity or worse. 🤣 As you can imagine, being up here the last 20 plus years was jusssst a bit frustrating at times.  Zappe started a game or two last year for the Pats and the fans loved him versus Mac(Enroe) Jones at times...so watching the chaos unfold is...nice.

• Upvote 3

If they had any serious intention to cut Carman they would've drafted a replacement.  Still think it's kinda crazy they didn't spend a single draft pick on OL despite having very little depth.  Afraid that's going to come back to haunt us down the stretch.. Yet again.. 

4 hours ago, spicoli said:

Lol he’s the #2 RB…what are you talking about? His roster spot was always safe. 

He's only needed if there is an injury, as the team doesn't use 4 RBs in a single game. So he would be safe to have on the PS and call up if needed. Mixon and Brown can provide the 'Thunder and Lightning' combo with Evans as the occasional passing down guy. 

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

He's only needed if there is an injury, as the team doesn't use 4 RBs in a single game. So he would be safe to have on the PS and call up if needed. Mixon and Brown and can provide the 'Thunder and Lightning' combo with Evans as the occasional passing down guy. 

It’s not Mixon and Brown…it’s Mixon and Williams