9 hours ago, Spotto said:

Who is our OC?

Both options aren't very desirable to other teams if you ask me.

Callahan. The decision to play Burrow the first 4 games was a bad one and probably not his. 

• Upvote 1

No chance we lose Loudini this offseason. Most of the teams looking for new coaches are bad and either trying to find a franchise QB or a coach who can develop the guy they have. That's not Lou. 

The play of Browning could make Pitcher attractive to other teams. If he's out of contract, there are probably other teams which will pay more than the Bengals. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, SF2 said:

Callahan. The decision to play Burrow the first 4 games was a bad one and probably not his. 

Let 'em.  I give the him and the QB coach credit for having Browning ready, but play design and play calling?  Pffft!  Maybe that's all Taylor.  Who knows how much Callahan actually does when it comes to all of that?

I would still like to see Taylor turn over OC duties totally to someone else. 

• Like 1

As to Lou, I bet he is back.  Most owners aren't going to want to talk to a guy with a defense rated as low as the Bengals' was this season.  Also, I don't think many DCs could have made chicken salad out of the chicken shit Lou had to deal with. 

The safety downgrade was dramatic.  Both young guys are potentially good safeties, but they weren't close to the combo of Bates and Bell.  It was catastrophic.  I liked Battle a lot.  I have faith he is going to be a good one.  Hill is another story.  I found him disappointing.  He made a play or two early in the season, but I don't remember him doing much of anything the rest of the year except running people down from behind.  Yep, he's fast.  Not sure Anderson can ever stay healthy, but I would like to see what he can do. 

The DL is overly dependent upon DJ Reader.  BJ Hill is a quality DT, but after that...woof!  When Reader went down an already poor running defense got even worse. 

Finally, as much as I like the Bengals young CBs, they are still young CBs.  Awuzie looked like a guy coming off ACL surgery.  Will he be back to form next year?  Hope so.

Tough to blame Lou for all this.  A lot of his defense was gutted.  Hopefully they will have an influx of talent plus some maturation in the secondary and return to being a very strong unit next season.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

As to Lou, I bet he is back.  Most owners aren't going to want to talk to a guy with a defense rated as low as the Bengals' was this season.  Also, I don't think many DCs could have made chicken salad out of the chicken shit Lou had to deal with. 

The safety downgrade was dramatic.  Both young guys are potentially good safeties, but they weren't close to the combo of Bates and Bell.  It was catastrophic.  I liked Battle a lot.  I have faith he is going to be a good one.  Hill is another story.  I found him disappointing.  He made a play or two early in the season, but I don't remember him doing much of anything the rest of the year except running people down from behind.  Yep, he's fast.  Not sure Anderson can ever stay healthy, but I would like to see what he can do. 

The DL is overly dependent upon DJ Reader.  BJ Hill is a quality DT, but after that...woof!  When Reader went down an already poor running defense got even worse. 

Finally, as much as I like the Bengals young CBs, they are still young CBs.  Awuzie looked like a guy coming off ACL surgery.  Will he be back to form next year?  Hope so.

Tough to blame Lou for all this.  A lot of his defense was gutted.  Hopefully they will have an influx of talent plus some maturation in the secondary and return to being a very strong unit next season.

I kind of feel the same about the Safties. Battle may not have all of the physical tools that Hill does, but he knows his assignments an can put on a hit. Hill gets another year in the spot as there were times he showed something, but after having a year in the system, granted not at the safety spot, I was a bit disappointed. 

Reader is done here IMHO sadly, and not because I want him to be, but because he has a year-long recovery in a contract year. We got to find at least two DTs, whether that be in FA or the Draft or a mix, well see. The 2nd one doesn't have to be a starter, but a good backup NT that can help if the 1st guy goes down or play the 2nd spot in short-yardage obvious run package.

I maybe give Cheedo a 1 year prove it deal as I am not sold on Turner yet and think we have more pressing needs than another CB draft pick.

The concern I have but need more data to determine is are we good at drafting defensive players? 

Murphy is coming on but still a wait and see.

Battle same as Murphy, but produced a tad bit more.

Turner had a good start to his season, but got picked on and was pretty bad at the end of it. (You would hope it would have been the opposite)

Zack Carter is a JAG

Ossai, had a good 1st year but has been a ghost this season. Did his mistake in the AFC Championship get that much into his head?

Cam Sample is better than Carter, but still mostly a JAG.

That leaves us with just Cam Taylor-Britt, who while good, would be a number 2 CB in a top end defense.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I kind of feel the same about the Safties. Battle may not have all of the physical tools that Hill does, but he knows his assignments an can put on a hit. Hill gets another year in the spot as there were times he showed something, but after having a year in the system, granted not at the safety spot, I was a bit disappointed. 

Reader is done here IMHO sadly, and not because I want him to be, but because he has a year-long recovery in a contract year. We got to find at least two DTs, whether that be in FA or the Draft or a mix, well see. The 2nd one doesn't have to be a starter, but a good backup NT that can help if the 1st guy goes down or play the 2nd spot in short-yardage obvious run package.

I maybe give Cheedo a 1 year prove it deal as I am not sold on Turner yet and think we have more pressing needs than another CB draft pick.

The concern I have but need more data to determine is are we good at drafting defensive players? 

Murphy is coming on but still a wait and see.

Battle same as Murphy, but produced a tad bit more.

Turner had a good start to his season, but got picked on and was pretty bad at the end of it. (You would hope it would have been the opposite)

Zack Carter is a JAG

Ossai, had a good 1st year but has been a ghost this season. Did his mistake in the AFC Championship get that much into his head?

Cam Sample is better than Carter, but still mostly a JAG.

That leaves us with just Cam Taylor-Britt, who while good, would be a number 2 CB in a top end defense.  

Chidobe has lost a step and a half.

He might be better a safety than CB now.

Turner's technique is horrible, and hopefully can be fixed in the off season

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

Chidobe has lost a step and a half.

He might be better a safety than CB now.

Turner's technique is horrible, and hopefully can be fixed in the off season

The question for me on Cheedo is it a result of coming back from the ACL or if he is just washed? That's why I suggested a 1 year proved it deal.

With Turner the other part of that is something he will have to deal with is that his size. I almost feel like he should be Mike Hilton's long term replacement, and we should get a 1st round CB, I just don't know that we can do that for at least another 2 years, because this year needs to be a RT and next year a WR. 

• Upvote 1

I think Lou needs a bounce-back year if he ever gets another HC interview. This year didn't help him, but I think he's definitely highly regarded around the league as a DC. 

As others have said, this D needs help. Some might come from seasoning for the young guys, like Turner, Battle, Hill, etc. - but they had disappointing years from both LB starters, and definitely need a lot of help up front, especially inside. Lou knew if he lost both Bates and Bell that they were in trouble... he suggested as much before FA last year.

Worst nightmare coming true, but guys you'd expect also just didn't play well. The only guys that did IMO were Tre, and DJ Reader most of the time. And I'd throw BJ Hill and CTB in there, too. Hubbard (I know - he played hurt and will need surgery) didn't do much. Wilson and Pratt stunk. Hilton was up and down. Chido was terrible. I'm sure some of it was coming back from the ACL, but it wasn't just speed... he just looked confused a lot. Hill got worse after starting off well. Scott may be a good ST player, but he can't play S. 

The DL depth, other than some positive moments as the year progressed from Murphy, didn't show up. Sample, who i liked, was meh. Ossai was MIA - a  huge disappointment, and I really had expected him to have a great season. Tupou was meh. Carter is just bad. He can't hold the point of attack at all. 

While I like Lou, fundamentals like tackling, taking proper angles... just not good at all, and some of that is on the coaching staff. Which is why I'd take a look at some of their current guys and consider making a few changes. I expect that they will tag Tee, and I believe they can shore up areas like TE and RB later in the draft, or even in FA. 

This defense, especially up-front, needs a lot of help. I'd love Reader to come back but you gotta wonder how effective he'd be, plus at his age - if the Bengals even want to go there. I'm just disappointed in the depth, and how guys like Ossai, Sample, and Carter haven't taken the next step, and given they are all at least 2 years in (2 for Carter, Ossai - considering he missed his first year - and 3 for Sample), I haven't seen a lot of encouraging signs. Tupou is declining and Tufele is a JAG. They need a lot help, and it doesn't seem like the draft has a lot of top-end talent. 

Edited by texbengal
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Would you oppose drafting WR Rome Odunze in round 1??

I think he'll flash stardom out of the gate.

My order of preference is RT, but with the Reader injury and because of how bad the defense is right now, if Newton is available I might take him. If we tag Tee I don't see WR as a first round need, I think you can get a possession WR to replace Boyd in the 2nd.

I see the top 3 needs as RT, DT, and WR. 

I'm also not opposed to getting a TE after the 3rd round.

Now come free agency if we can fill the DT need that makes it better. There are two guys I have my eyes on, but I'm not sure their current teams don't resign them. 

In order of preference. 

Justin Madubuike
Christian Wilkins
Justin Jones

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

When the play of your DL, in particular the DTs drops off, your LBs suffer.  Instead of being free to make plays they have to deal with guards and centers in their face.  Makes a big difference.

On point...

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

When the play of your DL, in particular the DTs drops off, your LBs suffer.  Instead of being free to make plays they have to deal with guards and centers in their face.  Makes a big difference.

Completely agree with this. Pratt and Wilson are still very good LBs, but it's hard when they have more guys to deal with because your DT play isn't good.

That said I think Davis-Gather is done as far as his contract, and I would like to find a replacement maybe even a guy who can cover TEs.

• Upvote 1