Is there anything you totally dislike about football

Can be a rule or whatever, but just wondering if theres anything your totally against in the game of football. What would you change?

Mine is the automatic first down on almost every defensive penalty. Illegal contact on a 3rd and 25 is just a huge kick in the nuts. Make it a 5 yard penalty and just replay the down. Its awesome when it helps you but stinks when its against you.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

The coverage and analysis of it. It's the fantasy era, where they don't talk about x's and o's any more. It's all individual stats driven. And there's no question that stats impact the game. You used to see a hail mary at the end of almost every half, but it's high risk of throwing a pick. Players like Brian Westbrook would strategically stop short of the end zone and people would lose their minds. 4th down desperation pass for an easy interception would be batted down, but now they want the pick for their stats instead of field position. Stats over strategy. They have a record for everything. He's the first left handed QB with an odd numbered jersey to throw at least 5 TDs against teams that begin with the letter B. Power rankings are stats. "With a win, they can secure a bye and a certain top 5 power ranking.

• The automatic first down is a huge one, as well as all personal fouls being 15 yards.  You get the same penalty for shoving a guy to the ground, slipping your hand over his face mask, or talking smack, as you do for intentionally spearing your helmet into Tyler Eifert's head and making him miss three or four games with a concussion.
  • I'll also go with the commercial breaks, which is why I start games about 20-30 minutes late on the DVR, unless it's a huge game and I can't stand to not be live. After a team scores, there's a three-minute (?) commercial break, a kickoff, and then another three-minute commercial break.  In seven minutes, you get to watch a ball get kicked into the end zone.
  • The overtime rule should be changed so that each team gets possession, regardless of what the team that has the ball first does.  The newer rule is an improvement, but only a half-measure.
  • The players need their bye weeks, and the by weeks give the NFL a 17-week chance to make money rather than a 16-week chance to make money, but I liked it better before the byes.  At the end of each MNF game, every team had played the same number of games, and the standings were symmetrical.
  • Players should be required to wear sleeves on their jerseys.  The removal of sleeves has led to some really funny-looking jersey stripes, as teams try to hold onto their classic jersey designs.

The coverage and analysis of it. It's the fantasy era, where they don't talk about x's and o's any more. It's all individual stats driven. And there's no question that stats impact the game. You used to see a hail mary at the end of almost every half, but it's high risk of throwing a pick. Players like Brian Westbrook would strategically stop short of the end zone and people would lose their minds. 4th down desperation pass for an easy interception would be batted down, but now they want the pick for their stats instead of field position. Stats over strategy. They have a record for everything. He's the first left handed QB with an odd numbered jersey to throw at least 5 TDs against teams that begin with the letter B. Power rankings are stats. "With a win, they can secure a bye and a certain top 5 power ranking.

The morans that cover the game live.I cannot stand that dude that used to qb the chargers and I hate the commercials.I usually tape the game on my DVR and watch it later.I will go outside and split wood or take a walk in the woods with my dog or else clean the garage.Then I can erase the stinkin commercials.they drive me nuts.a four hour game is usually an hour or more of insane commercials,and they stink.If I am out in the garage I will listen to Dan and Lap.Lap is up in the bit all game and Dan calls a game that I like to hear.He gets crazy when they score and I love that shit.Sometimes I will lift weights in the garage as I am so amped up I cannot sit still.I know,I am crazy,but sometimes I wish I was number 55 just rockin dudes shit.

Yes - i think there should be a rule change. If you get an unsportmanlike penalty for a dirty hit and the player you hit goes out of the game with an injury - you should have to leave the game too. Too follow that - the NFL can review it and determine if you get an additional one week off in lieu of a fine. In the case of Eifert, Mitchell would have had to leave the game followed by a one game suspension - hurting his team like he hurt ours. Mitchell targeted Eiferts head and neck - it was intentional and all his team suffered was a fine. We lost a player for the day and the following week due to it.

The morans that cover the game live.I cannot stand that dude that used to qb the chargers and I hate the commercials.I usually tape the game on my DVR and watch it later.I will go outside and split wood or take a walk in the woods with my dog or else clean the garage.Then I can erase the stinkin commercials.they drive me nuts.a four hour game is usually an hour or more of insane commercials,and they stink.If I am out in the garage I will listen to Dan and Lap.Lap is up in the bit all game and Dan calls a game that I like to hear.He gets crazy when they score and I love that shit.Sometimes I will lift weights in the garage as I am so amped up I cannot sit still.I know,I am crazy,but sometimes I wish I was number 55 just rockin dudes shit.

Damn Morans!

• Chris Carter
  • Chris Berman
  • Micheal Irvin
  • Pregame shows, especially ones where they do weird walkthroughs of what guy are trying to do on the field. 
  • Ray Lewis
  • Hines Ward
  • Mike and Mike in the Morning
  • Colin Cowherd
  • That after every pass the WR or DB looks for a penalty
  • Concussions
  • That we idolize criminals because they are on our team and can run fast
  • Marvin Lewis game management skills

Whiny Eeyore Chicken-Little sad sacks who suck the joy out of every fucking thing on this board get on my nerves just a little.

I have mixed emotions about the commercials.  The players need the breaks, and I don't otherwise get to experience America.  Commercials during NFL games remind me that yes, I do prefer living abroad. 

Officiating is completely subjective and it's impact is huge.  Pass interference and holding arguably happen on every play - it's just up to the referee's discretion on when to call it which I find to be complete horseshit but it's just the nature of the game.  Compare it to tennis for example.  Rules are black and white and any "questionable" call can be challenged and with the technology they have developed, every challenge is correctly upheld or reversed.  Tennis may be a poor comparison, but look at the NHL which is just as physical as the NFL.  The referees seem to make the accurate calls -- and in the case that they don't -- they'll look to call make-up calls when they incorrectly called something.  

Whiny Eeyore Chicken-Little sad sacks who suck the joy out of every fucking thing on this board get on my nerves just a little.

I have mixed emotions about the commercials.  The players need the breaks, and I don't otherwise get to experience America.  Commercials during NFL games remind me that yes, I do prefer living abroad. 

No they don't. High school games don't have tons of breaks and the players manage just fine.

• Chris Carter
  • Chris Berman
  • Micheal Irvin
  • Pregame shows, especially ones where they do weird walkthroughs of what guy are trying to do on the field. 
  • Ray Lewis
  • Hines Ward
  • Mike and Mike in the Morning
  • Colin Cowherd
  • That after every pass the WR or DB looks for a penalty
  • Concussions
  • That we idolize criminals because they are on our team and can run fast
  • Marvin Lewis game management skills

outstanding list..I seriously agree with every one of those..

My original list was:

stealers

When a player scores a touchdown and tries to run and break away from his teammates so he can do some douchey me me me celebration. Also, the trash talk after every play. 

And most of all, yoked up and swoll patrol referees who wear smedium shirts to show off their pythons. 

The league's governing body is corrupt as fuck & turns a blind eye to anything that doesn't tarnish their image, emphasis is on entertainment & avoiding litigation.  Sportsmanship & fair play are marketing lingo.

Sports media has way too cozy of a relationship with the NFL as a business & is granted access based on favorable coverage. Goes on witch hunts to create a facade of impartiality.

Zero accountability in officiating to the point where "idiot refs" are accepted as a given & are just part of the show.

Feedback loop of bad analysis & pandering to bigger markets.

Having to parse every minuscule movement to determine a catch or fumble.

That they penalize a d line because an o lineman moves in reaction to a defensive player moving.

Chris Collinsworth

The built in confirmation bias toward large market teams among referees.

The new extra point distance.

Mike Mitchell is breathing.

Archived