Bengals trade for Taylor Mays! (Trade is Official, Lap says 2013 7th round pick)

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1314062999' post='1019554']
I truly can't believe that you guys would listen to this 15 yr old! Hell, I plan to keep him on ignore until he's at least 25. I kept my oldest on ignore until he was 22 and he's way smarter than this kid. :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

:21:

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1314067830' post='1019625']

Peter King is a former Bengals beat writer. It's never been said what, but IMO its clear Peter King has some bad blood towards Mike Brown.
[/quote]Absolutely true. King has carried agrudge against Mike Brown since he was a beat writer for the Enquirer. King is a tool. Proof? He single-handedly led the move to keep Art Monk out of the HOF for several years.

[b]It's not like he is a former track star from Div III Farmfuckcountry College. [/b]

[b]This is a 235 lb SS who ran a 4.25 40 and played for dominant USC teams !!![/b]

[b]He was drafted in the 2nd round only 1 year ago (it's not like he has had 3 years or so to bust)[/b]

[b]Plus Mays dominated at SS when playing behind Maualuga at MLB !!! Hello ... this is a no-brainer. And Zimmer loved Roy Williams - he likes an in the box run stopper at SS.[/b]

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1314070865' post='1019661']
Pretty funny to see the usual suspects super excited about this trade....
[/quote]
[b]Pretty funny to see the usual whiny suspects bashing this trade.[/b]

[quote name='blueridge' timestamp='1314070940' post='1019662']
Absolutely true. King has carried agrudge against Mike Brown since he was a beat writer for the Enquirer. King is a tool. Proof? He single-handedly led the move to keep Art Monk out of the HOF for several years.
[/quote]

Wasn't king banned from the Bengals lockerroom way back in the day, because he was such an a-hole as a local beat writer?

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1314058859' post='1019476']I love it. During the pre draft Mays was one of those dividing players in which people loved or hated. I say give him a chance and hope it turns to gold.[/quote]

but stop for a minute and think about why that was. would you really have rathered we use that pick on taylor mays vs. the guy we used that pick on?

I'm skeptical. Not too many teams get rid of a second round pick the season after they take him. They must have been really down on him.

I hope he can polish his game up and be a massive contributor to us this year.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' timestamp='1314077996' post='1019682']
On the 49r's board, they're saying that we gave up a 4th round pick for Mays. If he pans out, it will be a steal! if not, the 2 5th rounders we got for Chad will make up for it.
[/quote]

I was reading a bit of that. It all seemed to stem from a rumor that the Bears had offered a 4th, and that we must have at least offered a higher 4th...

Seems a little high to me, especially considering the guy was playing 3rd team defense. 'Undisclosed draft pick,' to me, usually means something in the 6th or 7th round. I guess we'll find out after he signs.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1314065543' post='1019591']
I hope to see him lay Hines Ward out soon.
[/quote]

If this, alone, happens it'll have been worth the late round pick they've spent... just blow the dude up. Then all would be right.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1314058546' post='1019465']
[url="http://twitter.com/#!/evansilva"][b][color=#333333]evansilva[/color][/b][/url][size=2][color=#999999]Evan Silva[/color][/size]

[url="http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23Bengals"]#Bengals[/url][color=#444444] loved Taylor Mays before 2010 draft. Last March, the Dayton Daily News reported Cincy was considering using the 21st pick on him.[/color]

[url="http://twitter.com/#!/evansilva/status/105793105600593921"][size=2][color=#999999]4 minutes ago[/color][/size][/url]
[/quote]

Who, fucking Carlos "Big C" Holmes?

:24:

There's a credible source.

Mays obviously isn't a good football player. The niners had him locked up for a few more seasons at an extremely low price, and yet they still got rid of him? Doesn't make sense.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1314101967' post='1019707']

Who, fucking Carlos "Big C" Holmes?

:24:

There's a credible source.

Mays obviously isn't a good football player. The niners had him locked up for a few more seasons at an extremely low price, and yet they still got rid of him? Doesn't make sense.
[/quote]

Deltha got put out in the trash too. He was decent. The 49ers might be erasing anything Singletary from the roster (except Patrick Willis). It's also possible the 49ers new defense doesn't use his skill set.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1314102187' post='1019708']
What is the gamble here: an obviously gifted and dominant college safety who didn't fit on an overhauled/bad SF defense, for a 4-6 pick...or that range of picks, who may or may not contribute a damn thing next season?

It's a win for us.
[/quote]

pretty much. I don't like him much as a safety, but even if he's just a special teams stud, situational pass rusher, he brings value to the team and comes at a cheap price.

I still say his best position may be SLB, not WLB. Put 10lbs on him and put him behind Manny Lawson since Moch is out. Mays isn't much as a coverage guy as a safety, but I bet he'd be one of the better coverage SLB's in the league, and he certainly has the size for it.

[quote name='blueridge' timestamp='1314070940' post='1019662']
Absolutely true. King has carried agrudge against Mike Brown since he was a beat writer for the Enquirer. King is a tool. Proof? He single-handedly led the move to keep Art Monk out of the HOF for several years.
[/quote]

Peter King is a tool but Art Monk doesn't have any business in the Hall of Fame. He's a classic compiler, a guy who is decent and has a long career so by the end he has impressive career totals while never being at the top of his profession. Jerome Bettis is another one.

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1314085319' post='1019686']

That was my first thought as I watched the highlights. Knock him the fuck out just once, and you were worth the draft pick no matter what else you do, or don't do.
[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1314100732' post='1019695']

If this, alone, happens it'll have been worth the late round pick they've spent... just blow the dude up. Then all would be right.
[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Rumored Undisclosed pick is valued at being a 4th round 2012 Draft pick. It could conditionally be bumped up unto being a 3rd round pick if Mays were to play 80% of the defensive snaps this season.

[url="http://stripehype.com/2011/08/22/bengals-trade-for-taylor-mays/"]http://stripehype.com/2011/08/22/bengals-trade-for-taylor-mays/[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1314103267' post='1019718']
Rumored Undisclosed pick is valued at being a 4th round 2012 Draft pick. It could conditionally be bumped up unto being a 3rd round pick if Mays were to play 80% of the defensive snaps this season.

[url="http://stripehype.com/2011/08/22/bengals-trade-for-taylor-mays/"]http://stripehype.co...or-taylor-mays/[/url]
[/quote]

If true, I'd be disappointed with that. Say what you will, but Mike Brown doesn't typically give up much re: draft picks on trades, and I'd be surprised if he gave up that much. I'm thinking 5th, at best - but I guess we'll find out.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1314105894' post='1019736']

If true, I'd be disappointed with that. Say what you will, but Mike Brown doesn't typically give up much re: draft picks on trades, and I'd be surprised if he gave up that much. I'm thinking 5th, at best - but I guess we'll find out.
[/quote]

Hobson said he thinks it is a late round pick.

The dude from the LA Times said the 49ers were willing to give him away for nothing.

The 49ers were reportedly going to cut him if they couldn't trade him.

So I have a hard time believing that rumor at the moment.

But reportedly Zimmer wanted him bad in last year's draft. Even tried to trade up to grab him.
So if even if the rumor is true, and they were able to still get Dunlap, Shipley, Atkins and Mays
and all they gave up was a 2012 4th rounder, that could turn into a 3rd (which obviously Mays
would have to play a lot of snaps) I still think it would be a good deal.

But obviously the less they gave up the better.

Archived