7 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

I strongly disagree. The difference between Higgins and your average WR is so much larger in my view than the gap between Bates and your average FS. 

The NFL is now an offensive 'playmaker' league and if you don't have them your team is going nowhere, no matter how many other good players that don't touch the ball your team has.

This is why QBs are now going for 50 mill, and WRs are now going for 25 mill a year, as the rest of the league realizes scoring firepower is necessary to compete. 

I get what you are saying, but hearing from guys like Hilton and Reader have altered my opinion of Bates.  This isn't just about what he does on the field. 

Look, I like Higgins.  Still, Chase is the #1 and will be for a while.  Paying Higgins #1 money would be a mistake.  I also think there are other players that would look pretty damned good being a #2 behind Chase and getting balls from Joe Burrow.  John Taylor was a good WR, but he wouldn't have done nearly as well if the entire defense wasn't planning for Jerry Rice.  Higgins is going to get similar opportunities.  It's no mistake that some of Higgins' best games were late in the season when other teams finally figured out you can't single Chase at all. 

11 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I get what you are saying, but hearing from guys like Hilton and Reader have altered my opinion of Bates.  This isn't just about what he does on the field. 

Look, I like Higgins.  Still, Chase is the #1 and will be for a while.  Paying Higgins #1 money would be a mistake.  I also think there are other players that would look pretty damned good being a #2 behind Chase and getting balls from Joe Burrow.  John Taylor was a good WR, but he wouldn't have done nearly as well if the entire defense wasn't planning for Jerry Rice.  Higgins is going to get similar opportunities.  It's no mistake that some of Higgins' best games were late in the season when other teams finally figured out you can't single Chase at all. 

Bates couldn't cover either one of them and will get a chance to prove it next year when he's with some bunch of scrubs elsewhere.

Tee far > than Bates as far as value to the team.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Bates couldn't cover either one of them and will get a chance to prove it next year when he's with some bunch of scrubs elsewhere.

Tee far > than Bates as far as value to the team.

#2 WR vs. defensive leader.  Ok,  Whatever you say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Higgins is worth far more to the Bengals than Bates. If Tee went down, we'd be playing Mike Thomas. If Bates sits out, we have Dax.

Keep in mind that Dax Hill was a very versatile safety at Michigan over a long career, yet almost never played a deep free safety role like Bates. Hill usually played much closer to the line of scrimmage. Not to say that Hill cannot do it at the pro level with his elite athleticism, only that Hill played more of a Vonn Bell role (another safety who may have to be replaced next season) and far-far less of a Bates type role in college.

• Like 1