WEEK 1: @ BROWNS (GameDey thread)

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

There's 2 schools of thought ... Baltimore and Cincy are the 2 extremes of playing in the preseason

Cincy stunk today and lost, but have an intact team. 

Baltimore on the other hand was sharp from playing in August, and got the win, but their team is now a Mash unit ...

IMG_20230910_223410.jpg

Even if there is risk playing starters in the preseason, hindsight says they (well the offensive starters anyway) should had played a couple of drives at least.  We saw how our defense played--they did their best and I'm proud how well they played and just got tired that the offense was just complete dogshit today.  They did play numerous drives in the one against ATL, and they looked like they were ready for Cleveland woth three sacks and two turnovers.  Offense didnt do shit, and I dont care about the conditions or the weather--Brownies were in the same conditions and they thrived. Offense only had Jonah that played in preseason, no other starters, and elementary as it seems, this is what you get when they did ot play in preseason

Also, I know its one game, but Hopkins gives me concern, though its probably more of how our offense stunk.

Only silver lining I see is nobody got hurt, the Squeels got destroyed just like us, and the Chefs lost on Thursday night.  We are 0-1. Better stop sleepwalking through these openers and the boys better tighten up and realize things for real, this is not Preseaso week 4 anymore, but Week Fucking ONE.

I will still stand my prediction of 11-6, considering our struggles against the Brownies.  We better be ready for Balimore, or we better be ready to start 0-2.  We will not be the kind that flops around and then suddenly catch fire; we should have been ready, and this performance shows we are nowhere near ready.

Simply disgraceful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Duluoz said:

Ugly loss to be sure....what was up with CLE going for 2 points after their last TD? How do you justify that ?

Classic "Fuck you" move since we basically just sat around and took it w/o fighting back and to say they got Burrow and the offenses number--at .least that's what I see it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DanvilleBengal said:

Classic "Fuck you" move since we basically just sat around and took it w/o fighting back and to say they got Burrow and the offenses number--at .least that's what I see it.

You're right...a real classy move by a classless franchise....send in the Clowns.

Sure enough in the first half Robbins kept giving the Browns good field position. 

I will say it again, I couldn't care less about his hangtime, because these 40 yard punts are going to come back and bite us. We should have signed Ariza, and I am dead serious about that. Robbins hang time compared to pros doesn't even put him in top 10 anyway so why keep the guy?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gary said:

Sure enough in the first half Robbins kept giving the Browns good field position. 

I will say it again, I couldn't care less about his hangtime, because these 40 yard punts are going to come back and bite us. We should have signed Ariza, and I am dead serious about that. Robbins hang time compared to pros doesn't even put him in top 10 anyway so why keep the guy?

I don't totally disagree that it might come to looking elsewhere, but you know they'll just sign Chrisman, I mean, what else would the Bengals do?  Remember it's not as simple as "he can punt", the guy has to hold and he has to have directional skills (which as per Taylor is the actual reason they picked Robbins).

To be completely fair here Robbins got better as the game went on and you could tell kicking the one direction was hell, the Browns guy sucked from that end too.  With that said, the really big failure on Robbins' part (as he himself said) was the one time the Bengals had a chance to flip the field he flubbed it away from the *direction* they chose and it rolled in for a touchback.  If he's going to be this hangtime/direction whiz kid he's going to have at least do that right (and yes he was kicking from the 'easier end' on that one too).  Distance isn't going to doom the guy, it's failing on the one thing he's supposed to be really good at.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Gary said:

I had a friend text me during the game that we should have kept Chrisman.

They stunk.  Plain and simple.  They offense looked like they hadn’t played a game since January.  Burrow stunk.  Higgins stunk.  The OL stunk.  Chase did what he could.  

I guess you can be happy everyone is healthy, but sitting everyone in the preseason has its cost. Last season it was 0-2.  What will it be this season?

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Mixon was running it well, so Zac stopped using him on that drive. 

Strange decisions all over the place. 

I was only watching a game tracker at work but when he broke that 20+ it put him at 4/40. I was thinking "OK, feed him". Didn't even know they were playing in a downpour.

This loss is squarely on the coaches.

• Upvote 1

They had to make Cleveland look amazing for Monday night football. It could be browns year, as nfl script tries to soak in all the money from these untapped markets… 

just kidding Cleveland looks great but how great we shall see. They look amazing then fall off against everyone else. After week three we will kinda get a feel for how well teams are. 

16 minutes ago, Mikeslumina said:

They had to make Cleveland look amazing for Monday night football. It could be browns year, as nfl script tries to soak in all the money from these untapped markets… 

just kidding Cleveland looks great but how great we shall see. They look amazing then fall off against everyone else. After week three we will kinda get a feel for how well teams are. 

They play pitts this week we'll see how they do vs them

2 hours ago, SmoothD said:

To my eyes, it seems like the rain really caught them off guard.

Which is crazy, seeing how well we have played in bad weather.

The team never looked comfortable, especially Burrow.

Multiple times, him and the receivers were not on the same page.

I think that was part of it, but the offense never really recognized what the Elves were doing to them and never adjusted to it. It was a bad day by Joe and Callahan/Taylor. 

It’s interesting because karras said the blocking was good and Boyd said they didn’t do anything we didn’t expect. It was just a few games to get burrow reps and hope his injuries do not get worse. Burrow needs to make his own gloves for rain as much money as he has now. He could train in rain forest to get ready.  Watching burrow rub his knee and do all the bike band stuff. Just sit him run ball till he ready 

• Upvote 1

Three things stand out:  

1. Offensive Line was unable to block Garrett who applied inside pressure on almost every down.  The line was unable to pass block.  Burrow had no choice but to throw early. 

2. Given 1 above the play calling was awful.  Too many deep routes that were never going to work based on the Stains pass rush.  Boyd should have had 12 catches.  

3. on third and 8 THE RECEIVER MUST GO AT LEAST 9 YARDS DOWNFIELD!!!!!

• Upvote 1