Can Lewdog be allowed again

sois

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1356701545' post='1199991']

I am not certain if this is directed at me, but I am not making fun of him. I had extremely long and detailed PM conversations with him and I urged him numerous times to get help. But the fact remains that after a certain point, we cannot tolerate a person like that continuing to utterly derail threads with some of the things has was doing. This board isn't a democracy (hell, I don't get a vote either, just this really nice go-bengals coffee mug) but we do listen to our members. The vast majority had been pleading with us to do something about Lew for quite awhile. So Ryan finally did. The board is better off for it, end of story, full stop.
[/quote]

Did you miss a few posts you wrote.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1356701545' post='1199991']
I am not certain if this is directed at me, but I am not making fun of him. I had extremely long and detailed PM conversations with him and I urged him numerous times to get help. But the fact remains that after a certain point, we cannot tolerate a person like that continuing to utterly derail threads with some of the things has was doing. This board isn't a democracy (hell, I don't get a vote either, just this really nice go-bengals coffee mug) but we do listen to our members. The vast majority had been pleading with us to do something about Lew for quite awhile. So Ryan finally did. The board is better off for it, end of story, full stop.
[/quote]

Not directed at anyone specific, just the thread in general.

If he needs to be banned, fine. I'm guessing this thread was a serious question about allowing him back but it's turned sour and is just piling on him.

There is a difference between having a differing opinion and having it out with a member on the open forum verses someone sending PMs to other members and harassing them in private. Old and I have had a few scuffles in the day, none for a pretty long time and I had a member PM me and rant about how much he hated Old and to keep up the fight. I told him I agree with Old on most topics just not this one in particular. That seemed to piss him off more.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1356712000' post='1200053']
[/quote]

This thread is nothing but trolling...I'm just trying to fit in. I'm foreign so I have an inferiority complex and go along easily with peer pressure. I did make that joke up on the fly though....any credit for that creative genius?

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1356676549' post='1199958']
FWIW, I voted no on banning Lewdog, but he didn't bother me as much as he apparently did a lot of you. I figured people like him were what the ignore function was for. I do understand Go wanting to get rid of him though considering the history.
[/quote]

And your point in voting that way was completely valid. However, when one member causes a horde of other people to avoid the site or not post, or is consistently badgering other board members via PM, then one has to look at what is in the best interest of the site. Addition by subtraction if you will. I know that I personally received over a dozen complaints about him, and Go was getting deluged as well. I don't blame him in the least for making the call.

Now HaigIn88, I don't think [b]anyone [/b]laments that decision... :locomotive:

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1356717264' post='1200079']
And your point in voting that way was completely valid. However, when one member causes a horde of other people to avoid the site or not post, or is consistently badgering other board members via PM, then one has to look at what is in the best interest of the site. Addition by subtraction if you will. I know that I personally received over a dozen complaints about him, and Go was getting deluged as well. I don't blame him in the least for making the call.

Now HaigIn88, I don't think [b]anyone [/b]laments that decision... :locomotive:
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not saying it was a bad decision, and I do support Go. I wasn't getting the PMs and at the time I wasn't even able to read all of the threads, so I didn't really know the extent of the problem.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' timestamp='1356676486' post='1199957']
There isn't one of us on here that hasn't said something that stirred the shit. I'm totally against a ban because we're all guilty. Top it off, it was in the politics section. I think just going in there removes all bets. Bring him back.
MULLY

(null)
[/quote]

i probably only read 1% of his posts in the dubya forum, so i can assure you anything written there wasnt the sole cause of any of this. i did make a comment there, which i assume leads some to this assumptin about him not lasting long, but that was strictly due to me seeing that within hours of several posters and myself trying to explain why he was a problem and how to fix it, then he did it like 15 times in a row me happening to see one in the dubya forum, i think i said in another thread these same things, i cant remember anymore..certainly dumber shit has been said in there and no one was banned...

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1356725710' post='1200168']
i probably only read 1% of his posts in the dubya forum, so i can assure you anything written there wasnt the sole cause of any of this. i did make a comment there, which i assume leads some to this assumptin about him not lasting long, but that was strictly due to me seeing that within hours of several posters and myself trying to explain why he was a problem and how to fix it, then he did it like 15 times in a row me happening to see one in the dubya forum, i think i said in another thread these same things, i cant remember anymore..certainly dumber shit has been said in there and no one was banned...
[/quote]

His madness was infesting more than the Dubya forum. It was in the Bengals forum too, which is the main driver for traffic on this site. The board is better off without him. I see some posters on here like Jason and Mully saying let him back, and part of me agrees with the whole "no censorship" part of that, as this site has always been no-holds barred...but at the end of the day, when a single guy is generating that much negative reaction and attention (to the site, hence less clicks on banner ads, less traffic)...when all is said and done, I think you did the right thing. You really don't need to look any further than the PM's you and I and others got with all these threats of ACLU action (as if membership on a free website was somehow a "right") and his wacky claims, etc to realize that you did the right thing by the mass majority of this website. Dude was FLOODING my PM box as I was initially sympathetic to him. I URGED him to seek help many times. The fact is he refuses to take his meds. The place to seek help is not a messageboard. We are not saviors, we are football fans with an opinion.

Seriously guys, nobody is saying "let's burn books and censor people with unpopular opinions" here. There are many posters here that many people dislike that have really unpopular stances on any manner of things. But Lew was a serious outlier. He was harrassing members via PM that wanted to be left alone. I had received MANY messages from people asking that I do something about him when while he wasn't banned, I cannot stop him from PMing people. Hell, you don't have to look any further than some of the threads he was involved in, both inside and out of the Dubya forum where posters were openly saying things like "Jesus, will someone ban this guy already?"...and we did nothing. It just got to be overly excessive. Banning him was a "for the good of the website" decision, not a "hey, let's ban this mentally ill disabled guy". So please don't look at it like that.

Also please bear in mind that Ryan was the nice guy here (I know, right? :lol: kidding Ryan!) that let him back for a second chance. He didn't have to do that.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1356709348' post='1200037']
There is a difference between having a differing opinion and having it out with a member on the open forum verses someone sending PMs to other members and harassing them in private. Old and I have had a few scuffles in the day, none for a pretty long time and I had a member PM me and rant about how much he hated Old and to keep up the fight. I told him I agree with Old on most topics just not this one in particular. That seemed to piss him off more.
[/quote]

Wow, seriously?

Archived