Corey Dillon sounds off...

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/corey-dillon-unleashes-epic-rant-on-omission-from-bengals-ring-of-honor-pro-football-hall-of-fame

Former NFL running back Corey Dillon has been out of sight for a while. He’s back. In a big way.

Dillon recently uncorked an epic rant while talking to Paul Dehner Jr. of TheAthletic.com. The full interview is worth your time. Some of the highlights appear below.

And make no mistake about whether Dillion was actually off the record. As he said to Dehner, “Man, you can quote me word-for-fucking-word. Print it. Because nobody gets this shit. I want it exactly how I told you. No spins. No nothing.”

Dillon has two primary complaints, and a third one that is looming.

First, he thinks he should be in the Bengals’ Ring of Honor, a distinction that is voted on by season-ticket holders.

Dillon belongs in the Ring of Honor, but damn, what an asshole.  This kind of crap is why many of the fans don't like him and wont vote for him.  He says all that shouldn't matter, but it does.  All his complaints include blaming someone else.  He is going to have a life of misery if his happiness is dependent upon what others do to or for him. 

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Dillon belongs in the Ring of Honor, but damn, what an asshole.  This kind of crap is why many of the fans don't like him and wont vote for him.  He says all that shouldn't matter, but it does.  All his complaints include blaming someone else.  He is going to have a life of misery if his happiness is dependent upon what others do to or for him. 

He allways seemed like a miserable 

Pos..

Fuck him till he's 80..

yeah he definitely shit in his own backyard as well as being a malcontent.

But I still remember the dark years and him about the only bright spot there was. Bengals record from '97-03 (Dillon's tenure) was 34-78 with the best team ream record of 8-8. It was exhilarating to watch him run angry and punish opposing D's.

Rudi Johnson made him expendable and the Bengals still managed to get a 2nd round pick out the Pats for a 30-yr old RB. His first season with the Pats is still their franchise single season record 1635 yds. Then age caught him.

I echo Jamie_B, his time will come, but his own antics will delay it.

I see this the same way I feel about Carson---despite their success on the field, there has to be the boom times and the lean times, and there was a lot of lean times, you still respect and appreciate the time you had and the blessing the Bengals give you for having a decent career in pro football in the first place.  You dont go out crapping the team all over the place and then expected to be honored---you give the finger at me, and I can give you rhe figer vack at you abd still flip yoou off until you realize you fucked up.  All Carson and Corey are doing is trying to get the ex wife after she grew up, became hella successful, and got her own man that know how hard things were before the struggle.  If the want to be honored, have them go to their respective saviors (Cardinals for Quitter, Patriots for Corey) and get into their Rings of Honour, because they sure as hell aint gonna be in ours no fucking time soon.

Karma's a bitch, huh Corey??? 

He has the talent to be in a Ring of Achievement ...

but will not be getting in a Ring of Honor anytime soon (as he's a a bitter POS).

He fails to realize that the Ring is for fans to honor the players that left their mark on them and the city. It's not a stat contest, it is yes, literally a POPULARITY contest - which he resents, because he knows he's an asshole and not well liked broadly.

Asshole or not, he did bring this moribund franchise a few moments of national attention in those ‘90’s to early 2000’s wasted years. 

I was in attendance for one of the two: his (then) NFL record-setting yards in one game vs DEN. I had never witnessed—either before or after—one player’s total domination of one game. 

For once, during that time, people would see the gear and say “Corey Dillon is on your team!”

”Ring of Honor” or “Ring of Achievement”—what the fuck does it matter? I would wager to say no one here had ever seen—or only a few have ever heard of—Paul Robinson. He gave a fledgling franchise a big boost of respect back then. Was he a “great guy” or an “asshole”? Does it matter? And when does this great player get any due on some innocuous “ring”. I’m betting he and CD will be well to the rear. Popularity contests are like that. 

5 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Asshole or not, he did bring this moribund franchise a few moments of national attention in those ‘90’s to early 2000’s wasted years. 

I was in attendance for one of the two: his (then) NFL record-setting yards in one game vs DEN. I had never witnessed—either before or after—one player’s total domination of one game. 

For once, during that time, people would see the gear and say “Corey Dillon is on your team!”

”Ring of Honor” or “Ring of Achievement”—what the fuck does it matter? I would wager to say no one here had ever seen—or only a few have ever heard of—Paul Robinson. He gave a fledgling franchise a big boost of respect back then. Was he a “great guy” or an “asshole”? Does it matter? And when does this great player get any due on some innocuous “ring”. I’m betting he and CD will be well to the rear. Popularity contests are like that. 

There were seasons where we went to watch Corey Dillon rather than the Bengals in general.

I'm a huge Corey Dillon fan, super nice guy but, oh my, does his temper make him his own worse enemy.

Everyone talking about how Dillon was the only good thing on years of shit teams and I'm over here wondering if maybe a bitter malcontent RB who thought he was bigger than the team was maybe just a little bit of the reason those teams were so shit.  Just asking questions. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Everyone talking about how Dillon was the only good thing on years of shit teams and I'm over here wondering if maybe a bitter malcontent RB who thought he was bigger than the team was maybe just a little bit of the reason those teams were so shit.  Just asking questions. 

Not being argumentative and see what you're saying and agree but the 2002 team where he broke the (then) single season record

featured head coach, Dick LeBeau, quarterbacks Akili Smith (one game), Gus Ferotte (four games) and Jon Kitna (14 games and 10 fumbles).

Some good receivers, Chad, Peter Warwick, TJ Housh but no one to get them the ball consistently.  An ancient Michael Westbrook was on the team, too.

Lost TE Tony McGee to NE, replaced him with Tony Stewart.  Remember him?  No one does.

Oh, yeah, Neil Rackers was the kicker.

Corey was a 3 time Pro Bowler on abysmal teams, once more in NE after he left.

Team record 2-14.

He was the best thing going.  Nobody was going to watch Jon Kitna throw to Danny Farmer when he could hold on to the ball.

Corey's infamous quote that got him out of town, among other things, was "we will never win with the Brown family in Cincinnati" which

turned out to be at least partially right in reference to Mike.

Do see your point and agree, Mr Dub, but Corey Dillion was one hella running back but simply could not keep his mouth shut.

As far as Bengals and football accolades, he was his own worse enemy.

The quote was Corey "ran angry".  However, he lived angry, too, and bumped the bunny with the Bengals organization because to it.

Like my father always told me, "You just don't know when to shut up."

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Not being argumentative and see what you're saying and agree but the 2002 team where he broke the (then) single season record

featured head coach, Dick LeBeau, quarterbacks Akili Smith (one game), Gus Ferotte (four games) and Jon Kitna (14 games and 10 fumbles).

Some good receivers, Chad, Peter Warwick, TJ Housh but no one to get them the ball consistently.  An ancient Michael Westbrook was on the team, too.

Lost TE Tony McGee to NE, replaced him with Tony Stewart.  Remember him?  No one does.

Oh, yeah, Neil Rackers was the kicker.

Corey was a 3 time Pro Bowler on abysmal teams, once more in NE after he left.

Team record 2-14.

He was the best thing going.  Nobody was going to watch Jon Kitna throw to Danny Farmer when he could hold on to the ball.

Corey's infamous quote that got him out of town, among other things, was "we will never win with the Brown family in Cincinnati" which

turned out to be at least partially right in reference to Mike.

Do see your point and agree, Mr Dub, but Corey Dillion was one hella running back but simply could not keep his mouth shut.

As far as Bengals and football accolades, he was his own worse enemy.

The quote was Corey "ran angry".  However, he lived angry, too, and bumped the bunny with the Bengals organization because to it.

Like my father always told me, "You just don't know when to shut up."

I saw him play a couple of times & would say he ran absolutely enraged.  Nastiest of stiff-arms & seemed to love going helmet-to-helmet. 

Maybe more fair to say the team lacked the testicular fortitude in the locker room or FO to keep him in line, but a Pro Bowl record-setting RB that no one can stand to be around is kind of a wash in a team sport.  He had a pretty good OL blocking for him but to hear him tell it he was carrying a whole roster of bums on his back.  Even if that were true those bums certainly aren't going to step it up for a guy like that & their record showed it.

Chad was, let's say "controversial" in his own way & maybe didn't leave on the best terms but also has the stats and you don't see him throwing a public tantrum. That's why Chad's likely to end up honored in both locations while Corey keeps talking shit.  Why would any fan reading that mess vote for him now? Needs to quit whining and maybe act like he belongs there.

16 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Corey keeps talking shit.  Why would any fan reading that mess vote for him now? Needs to quit whining and maybe act like he belongs there.

BOOM!  There it is exactly and I could not agree more.  That's the point.  All of his accomplisments and great stuff he did for the Bengals is overlooked

because of it.  Chad's antics were amusing, Corey's angry and negative.

I think I said this somewhere else but it does remind me of what my father said to me back in the day: "Why can't you learn to keep your mouth shut?"

BTW...  we are in agreement about Corey.

17 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Chad was, let's say "controversial" in his own way & maybe didn't leave on the best terms but also has the stats and you don't see him throwing a public tantrum. That's why Chad's likely to end up honored in both locations while Corey keeps talking shit.  Why would any fan reading that mess vote for him now? Needs to quit whining and maybe act like he belongs there.

Not to mention, Chad is still rooting for and supporting this team and is one of the team’s biggest unofficial ambassadors. 

Best story I have regarding Corey's "departure". Seats are in South End Zone, second row, fairly near Bengals tunnel. Cory was chucking various uniform parts into the stands, but not putting a whole lot of effort into it. Threw his shoulder pads right in front of me, but several people who had seen what was going on, had made their way down to the wall. Two "fans" of the male persuasion grabbed the pads, each holding tight to opposite ends and started fighting as to who had hold of them first or better. Cincinnati Police officer who was a regular sight in our end zone, walked up to the wall and told them to knock it off, hand the pads to him and he walked into the tunnel smiling all the way :41: Even better, we all knew the officer was a Clowns fan so no telling what he did with them?

22 minutes ago, MOC said:

Best story I have regarding Corey's "departure". Seats are in South End Zone, second row, fairly near Bengals tunnel. Cory was chucking various uniform parts into the stands, but not putting a whole lot of effort into it. Threw his shoulder pads right in front of me, but several people who had seen what was going on, had may there way down to the wall. Two "fans" of the male persuasion grabbed the pads, each holding tight to opposite ends and started fighting as to who had hold of them first or better. Cincinnati Police officer who was a regular sight in our end zone, walked up to the wall and told them to knock it off, hand the pads to him and he walked into the tunnel smiling all the way :41: Even better, we all knew the officer was a Clowns fan so no telling what he did with them?

Straight to eBay or the like I'm sure

TBH though I'd probably have done the same or at least tried to trade them for swag from a player I liked.

On 7/8/2023 at 9:22 AM, Le Tigre said:

I have very fond memories of Paul Robinson. My favorite Bengal from the early days. He was not controversial IIRC. Loved Essex Johnson, too.

Archived